Share Facebook

11-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Aydmen

My Support Groups:
URC - Snack and Diet tips?

Hey everyone!

I have been in a flare for about a good month now, but finally am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel - thanks to the Prednisone, that I can't wait to finish.

So far I have been eating a lot of:
Beef stew, chicken stew, meatloaf (the decent kind with no ketchup or jucky stuff), some zucchini, lots of eggs, more chicken breast, and occasionally some toast in the morning.

I have been trying to avoid carbs or grains in general, and have just been eating sweet potatoes.

I just bought a crockpot, and mean to use it A LOT.

Does anyone have a decent diet they follow, that could give me good pointers? I will go see a nutritionist as soon as I can, but for now I'd like to be able to make myself a weekly plan, and stick to it.

I'm 5"5', and weight 104lbs - for Europeans, I'm 1.65cm and weigh about 47/48kgs. Would love to go back to my regular 50/53kgs!

Thanks!

11-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi! Happy to hear you are starting to feel a bit better.

As far as diet goes, I wish there was a specific diet we could all follow. But since IBD can be a very individualized condition when we talk about symptoms and things we can/can't tolderate, it's more important that you need to make sure you have a fair understanding of what foods/ingredients you personally can and cannot tolerate and build your diet off of that. Prednisone may be holding you over, but once you get off of pred and begin re-introducing certain foods back into your system after only eating soups and stews may be a bit of a shock to the system. So take your time in figuring things out.

An Elimination Diet is a good starting point for a lot of people. It can help you get clear on the foods you can/cannot tolerate. From there you can decide how you want to proceed. A dietitian/nutritionist may be helpful if your specific goal is to gain weight, however it's worth pointing out that while they can be good for building a basic diet, many are not well trained to help find a balanced, nutritious diet for people who have conditions such as ours so be realistic about your expectations from a dietitian/nutritionist.

I've personally been in remission for about 4 years now and I still struggle to find a balanced diet and weight because what my body chooses to tolerate changes from time to time. Then I go back to the elimination diet or some form of clean eating practice to try and get clear on what my body needs this time around.

Crockpots are the best! I have one also and I love it because it helps soften up foods a bit more making them easier for my body to digest them. Plus it's winter time and soups/stews are definitely on the menu for me. Good luck to you and let us know how you are getting along on your food journey.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)