Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Stelara/Ustekinumab » How long does it take Stelara to work?

12-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Colie

How long does it take Stelara to work?

I got my first infusion of stelara a couple of weeks ago. For those of you who have taken it, how long did it take to see improvements, if any? I saw on the website that it could be anywhere between 3-6 weeks.
12-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
jonique

My Support Groups:
I got my first infusion of stelara a couple of weeks ago. For those of you who have taken it, how long did it take to see improvements, if any? I saw on the website that it could be anywhere between 3-6 weeks.
I started taking it in April 2016. I was dealing with a stricture though which is not helped by medication. The stricture was removed in October. I take it for arthritis too and noticed the improvement in arthritis gradually with optimal treatment in September so it did take a few months. The pharmacist told me that it takes longer to get noticeable benefits than anti-tnf. It may have been longer for me as I was quite sick and stressed when I started it. I do feel the best I have in years now though so was worth the wait.

Migraines
Moderate Fatty Liver

Meds:
5-ASA (Salofalk)
Celebrex
Omeprazole

Previous meds:
Stellara, Cimzia, Simoni, Remade, Humira, Methotrexate, Entocort, Sulfasalazine

Surgery:
1. laparotomy 1986 - Dx Crohn's Disease
2. small bowel resection 1995
3. small bowel resection 2016
12-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Jonique
Are you on the arthritis dose 45mg or the Crohns dose 90 mg ??
12-30-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
jonique

My Support Groups:
Jonique
Are you on the arthritis dose 45mg or the Crohns dose 90 mg ??
I am taking the arthritis dose 45 mg every 8 weeks. I will be having a colonoscopy 6 months post-op (April) and if any inflammation shows up will increase to 90 mg every 8 weeks.

12-30-2016, 11:58 PM   #5
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I would ask sooner. All the US FDA approvals for treatment of Crohns is to start at 90mg
45 mg isnt enough
I think it's the same in Europe as well
It was just approved this past fall here with the higher recommended dose
12-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
jonique

My Support Groups:
My crohns was all removed with the surgery in October. Blood tests normal. No signs of any active crohns so my gi doctor recommended waiting until April.

03-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
BoyMama2000

My son had definitive benefits by week 8 but likely sooner. His doctor said it works pretty quickly and that benefits improve over time. His SED rate and CRP went down drastically on his bloodwork 8 weeks after his infusion dose of 360mg. He just had his first injection of 90mg a week ago. We were not given the impression that this takes longer than anti-TNF at all. Of course, everyone is unique as we know.
04-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
I have just had it approved. I am in the UK and we start with an infusion then sub cut injections.
Can I ask if any of you/your children had side effects with the infusion ?

On Humira every 7 days, intermittent iv iron, regular blood transfusions :faint:
On TPN since March 2016.
04-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
BoyMama2000

Sounds like the same way this is administered in the U.S. My son has had no side effects at all after his initial infusion in January or his first injection in March. Best to you!
04-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Feeling Hopeless

I had my first injection about a week ago and started tapering off of prednisone and started running 100.7 fever tonight 🙄 How long until I will start seeing some relief that it will work because all other treatments have failed.
04-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
woops!

I have had the infusion end now my first injection. I was very sick when I started it. I noticed some small improvements after the second week of the infusion, I am currently still dealing with diarrhea, but not as much and no blood in stool noted. So for me it has taken a while. I was told it could take up to 15 weeks to get going strong, but that it was worth it. It is difficult as you take the med then have to wait... but so far so good. The wating for it to work is hard as you still feel bad, but worth it when it gets going.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Stelara/Ustekinumab » How long does it take Stelara to work?