• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fish Oil Warning

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted in here, but I just wanted to pop in for a quick warning to you all.

We all hear about the great benefits of fish oil and omega-3's - and I'm definitely not refuting that. But I just want to reiterate one of the real side effects of it: intestinal bleeding.

I was feeling almost 100% on Monday - I started taking it Tuesday morning - started feeling worse on Wed and Thurs - and I was pooping blood by Friday.

Granted, the kind I was taking was 1600mg/dose, and because I was taking it in the liquid, not pill, form, I was probably even taking more than that. But it's fish oil, I thought, what can go wrong? Turns out quite a bit.

I stopped taking it today, and I THINK I'm starting to feel better. So just a little warning. Especially if you're first starting it. Start at a low dose. And preferably with food. And then increase as tolerated.

Happy Friday!

my little penguin

Staff member
Thank you for the warning
There are a lot of "natural" things that can act as drugs or cause harm
Always clear supplements with your GI first

Hope you feel better soon

This is a good warning. I do actually take 4000mg a day (I have joint issues due to hypermobility) but I'm not prone to blood in my stool so there should be no problems there. I actually didn't know about this blood thinner effect, and if my situation worsens I'll definitely take note!