Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » remission after small bowel resection

01-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Adamklem

remission after small bowel resection

Hi everybody! I'm Adam and I'm 15. I recently stumbled across this forum and have to say, I've learned a lot from reading everyone's comments.

I was diagnosed in June of 2016 after about 2 years of misdiagnosis. I developed 2 strictures, one in my jejunum and one in the ileocolonic region. I had surgery on November 30th and had two feet taken out. Can anyone share their stories of bowel resections? How has your disease/life been since surgery? Also, I am on remicade at the moment. I know the disease Is different for everyone but I would still like to know. Thank you all for indirectly helping me
01-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi, Adam. Welcome. I took myself off of a biologic because I felt I couldn't afford it. That was a big mistake. In 2010, I was in the hospital three different times. I had an obstruction. They planned on a resection on April 13. They had me on TPN. My body had a reaction to the TPN. I went to the emergency room with pancreatitis. They moved the resection up a week. It took a few months for my stomach to settle down. I have noticed that since the resection I have had to take the skin off of everything.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
02-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
joshua820

Hi Adam. I'm 15 as well! I was diagnosed in August of 2016 after thinking I had anxiety issues for 3 years. I had 2 obstructions, a structure, a fistula, and a 3cm x 3cm abscess. I had an emergency resection and had 3 feet of small intestine removed and 1 foot of large intestine removed. I was placed on remicade immediately after and haven't had any severe symptoms since (just diarrhea due to the removal of my ileum). I hope this helps, and I hope you feel better as well!
03-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
mitchiedoo42

My Support Groups:
Hey! Im 22 and had a resection really similar to yours about 3 weeks ago. I am still recovering and will see after a few months how my body with react, everyone is different.
03-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
Hi Adam.
I had a resection with also about 2 feet of the small intestine removed 15 years ago. My quality of life has been much better since, however I have a pretty strict diet and I'm still on a lot of medication to control/manage my symptoms. But I'm living a full life, working full-time, exercising etc. Good luck to you.
03-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Jbrbr

Hello Adam. I had a similar procedure a few months ago with removal of strictures in the jejunum and the terminal ileum. I had been living for a long time with chronic pain, malnutrition, and fatigue before requiring surgery. Now that I've recovered, I feel better than I have in years. My weight has returned to within the normal range, I don't feel much abdominal pain at all, and I have a lot more energy. It's great!

I stopped taking pain medications around 5 or 6 days after surgery, and mild pain continued for around 3-4 weeks. Significant diarrhea persisted for a few weeks before improving significantly (now occasional and not urgent). I currently have no significant restrictions to diet, and can eat healthily with a small amount of nutritional support (Ensure). I have occasional minor pain at the incision sites, and occasional nausea, but am apparently in remission for now. All in all, it has improved my life significantly.

I currently take an immunosuppressant called Azathioprine to try and keep the disease at bay and maintain remission (you may know it as Imuran). I'm not familiar with Remicade, but I have taken a course of Humira in the past, which I'm led to believe is a similar kind of drug. It certainly worked to get rid of inflammation very quickly for me, with no discernible unwanted side effects. Alas, it can't heal scar tissue. I hope you find it works just as well for you.

Hoping that you've had a similarly good recovery and are feeling better. I was scared enough at 23, I've no idea how I'd have dealt with major surgery at 15!
04-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
craiggus

Hello - I'm 46 - i had 2 feet removed back in 2007. emergency surgery - destroyed any hopes I had of a underwear modeling career. anyway I have been symptom free since then although my battle now is with short gut syndrome. I have a very regimented routine that keeps in well under control.
they told me my gut would adapt but it never has - maybe I did something wrong - who knows
if you find you have short gut issues let me know i'll describe in detail what meds I take and what foods I eat when I take them. works very - lets put it this way it works so well I have no problem traveling internationally for work - im talking 16 hour flights
05-23-2017, 04:23 AM   #8
rorho19

My Support Groups:
craiggus.. I'd be interested if you could post your meds and foods and what you do for travelling. I am facing resection of two strictures in the ileum and they may well take the valve al bit of the colon- so I am petrified of swapping C and pain for Diarrhea.

thanks
05-23-2017, 04:24 AM   #9
rorho19

My Support Groups:
Does anyone know what length of resection is enough to cause permamanet Diarrhea or is it utterlyt different for diff people?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » remission after small bowel resection