• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

remission after small bowel resection

Hi everybody! I'm Adam and I'm 15. I recently stumbled across this forum and have to say, I've learned a lot from reading everyone's comments.

I was diagnosed in June of 2016 after about 2 years of misdiagnosis. I developed 2 strictures, one in my jejunum and one in the ileocolonic region. I had surgery on November 30th and had two feet taken out. Can anyone share their stories of bowel resections? How has your disease/life been since surgery? Also, I am on remicade at the moment. I know the disease Is different for everyone but I would still like to know. Thank you all for indirectly helping me

Hi Adam. Welcome.
I had resection about 12 years ago, I was pretty bad before resection, so my life got a lot better after, but I never really got to "remission" per se. And by that I mean I still was not totally symptom free, I still take a lot of medication just to keep symptoms under control enough that I can live and work. But I have been living a good life since surgery, I believe I will need another surgery at some point, but I'm trying to keep as much intestine as I can, for as long as I can.
Good luck to you.

Hi Adam! I had a bowel resection in December 2011 at the terminal ileum and where my small bowel meets my large bowel. Prior to this I had had terrible stomach cramps on and off for about 5 years. After the resection it took me about 6 weeks to recover and then I felt amazing. I had lots of energy and travelled the world for several months without any negative effects. Unfortunately my surgery was misdiagnosed as appendicitis so afterwards I was not prescribed any treatment or properly monitored. I felt really well for about 3-4 years and then the stomach cramps returned. This led me to going back to my doctors and getting correctly diagnosed and put on treatment.

I responded to your other thread. I wanted to add that, for me personally,after the surgery, commuting was too stressful for me and I ended up retiring.