• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello

Hi, I'm new to this forum, glad I stumbled across it. I have had Crohn's for 40 years now. I've been taking Pentasa for about 15 years I'm one of the more fortunate ones, as I have only had a few major flare ups. However, I was diagnosed with a fistula that is connected from large intestines to small. It formed at the point of inflammation that caused narrowing of the intestine. (Dr said it was natures way of rerouting the colon) It does not cause me too many problems so no surgery has been needed yet. However, because of this I have digestive problems every few months, food builds up in the area and causes bloating and pain until it passes through, then I'm good for another couple months. Does anyone know of something that would be good to help with digestion to break it down and keep things flowing?

cmack

Staff member
terlyn,

I have been a big fan of smoothies. I also have trouble with digestion and if I break it all up with my blender I find less problems with getting backed up. For example my morning smoothie is... One banana, 1/2 cup or so of spinach 3Tbsp ground organic brown flax seed, 2 or 3 walnuts and 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries with organic soy milk or organic almond milk, You probably want to skip anything with the seeds involved though. They might get stuck somewhere along the way( you certainly don't want that)!

You can experiment with alternative options that are friendly to your system. Just sort of a starting point.

All the best,:thumright:

cmack

Last edited:
You could also try a low residue diet. I've been on it for years, and never had any stomach pains. I've now slowly started to add things like raw veggies to it. Worth a try. You could check with a nutritionist, or ask your doctor if he ok's it. My GI recommended I go on it.

cmack

Staff member
Ron,

Are you talking about probiotics? If so I take one of those. It is called VSL#3. Made a huge difference for better digestion. I would recommend it to anybody who has had a lot of antibiotics. As always ask the Doc first is always a good rule.

cmack