Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Mucosal inflammation treatment

02-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
wantok

Mucosal inflammation treatment

GI doc says my inability to absorb iron from my iron infusions is caused by mucosal inflammation from Crohn's. Besides this, I am asymptomatic and control diarrhea from resection 40 years ago with Questran once or twice a week and Align probiotic. Can anyone direct me to treatments for this problem? Thanks much!
02-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Scipio

My Support Groups:
I don't understand. I can see why you might have impaired ability to absorb iron from tablets or oral liquid through your gut due to inflammation and/or surgery. But it doesn't make sense that you can't absorb iron from an iron infusion. Since an infusion is when the iron solution is injected directly into a vein, then by definition it has bypassed the gut inflammation and has already been directly "absorbed" into the circulation.
02-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
wantok

Good point. I don't know and obviously don't understand all of this. My iron % saturation is 20 (doc says it needs to be 50 for my RLS to get relief). I see the hematologist next week and will ask your question. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Mucosal inflammation treatment