Share Facebook

02-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Alternative

Are there any alternatives to imuran ? I am concerned about possible side effects.
02-03-2017, 02:48 AM   #2
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
What side effects are you concerned about? The alternatives I would have thought would be 6mp or mtx but these carry the same side effects unfortunately.
02-03-2017, 04:00 AM   #3
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I've been on 6MP for around 20 years now and haven't had any noticeable side effects. It's very similar to Imuran. All medications have possible side effects unfortunately. Untreated Crohn's can bring a lot of problems as well that are just as scary. Remember that if you do experience any side effects you can stop the medication right away before anything gets out of hand. Medications like Imuran, 6MP and Methotrexate require constant monitoring with regular blood work. As long as you keep up with the blood work you'll reduce your risk of serious irreversible side effects.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
02-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What side effects are you concerned about? The alternatives I would have thought would be 6mp or mtx but these carry the same side effects unfortunately.
Bone marrow disorders.