Share Facebook

02-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wasn't aware

I talked to my doctor about alternatives to imuran. They said I was at such a low risk of cancer for cancer. Then we talked about my history and they told me I had a history of strictures. I wasn't aware of any strictures. Can someone tell me the difference between strictures and obstructions?
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
02-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Layla

My Support Groups:
The way I understand is that strictures are narrowing of the bowel, either because of inflammation or from scar tissue from having inflammation for too long, and these strictures can cause an obstruction.

So the obstruction is a result of having strictures, for instance when you've eaten something without chewing it well enough, it could cause a blockage of the bowel. That blockage is then called an obstruction.

If you think you may have a blockage whether partial or full, stop eating but make sure you keep hydrated.

Does that make it any clearer?
Resection due to strictures in 2014
Currently taking: Remicade, amitriptyline, zinc, multi vitamin, b12 shots, Vit D, B complex, magnesium, calcium, Psyllium and the occasional iron infusion

Previously on Humira, Prednisone, Azathioprine, MTX, Pentasa, Asacol, Salofalk
02-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes. Thanks.