Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Anyone take Budesonide instead of Prednisone

02-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #1
Laos38

Anyone take Budesonide instead of Prednisone

Has anyone ever used Budesonide to control a flare in crohns instead of Prednisone?.
If yes, what were you side effects if any?

Compared to Prednisone, which is better?
02-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
My daughter is just finishing another course of Budesonide. She has more energy on it, better appetite, sometimes trouble sleeping.
It targets the end of the small intestine and right side of colon. It has less negative side effects than prednisone.
Hope it helps you!
02-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I found Budesonide better than prednisone. Didn't crave food nearly as much. No side effects with my bones.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
02-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
ktburo

My Support Groups:
I have finally gotten off of Budesonide (this week fingers crossed) but only because we added Methotrexate. After being on the Budesonide for over a year I began having the same symptoms as Prednisone (moon face, always hungry so gained way too much weight) My Dr stated it is rare, that most people do not have steroid symptoms with it because it is such a low dose but it does happen. I had to take high doses of steroids when I was first diagnosed so definetly know what thats like! Not sure if this helps but hopefuly the entocort works, because prednisone really sucks!!
02-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
GI Jane

My Support Groups:
Yep just finishing up with Budesonide right now. It doesn't work as well at prednisone for me buy so happy no side effects with this med.
02-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
HappyDiver

I've been on Budesonide for a few months now, so less experienced than a lot of people here - at first I found it really effective, then things got worse and it wasn't controlling the inflammation (FC 376!). I will say I've had almost no side effects though!
02-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
crohns4ever

My Support Groups:
I was on budesonide for 4 years straight until recently, it didn't work as well like predasone does for me. But it's an ok drug for remission.
02-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
rjmonri

Hi,

I am on Budesonide and have been for 5 months, but my Doctor is hinting that he is going to take me off it soon. The side effects for me were great. I don't get any Arthritis pain at all. My Pscoriasis all but disapeared and I am eating well. I still get some Diahhorea every day but usually only two poos a day. One thing that looks a bit worrying, but give no pain is swollen feet and ankles, which comes and goes.
I am due for an annual Colonoscopy soon and the Doc will decide what to do next, but he has already given me a list of future drugs and they include :- Azathioprine, and if that doesn't work move onto TNF, what ever that is.
My understanding is that the Budesonide is less harmfull to the organs than the Prednisol.

Good Luck,
04-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
ktburo

My Support Groups:
Hi,

I am on Budesonide and have been for 5 months, but my Doctor is hinting that he is going to take me off it soon. The side effects for me were great. I don't get any Arthritis pain at all. My Pscoriasis all but disapeared and I am eating well. I still get some Diahhorea every day but usually only two poos a day. One thing that looks a bit worrying, but give no pain is swollen feet and ankles, which comes and goes.
I am due for an annual Colonoscopy soon and the Doc will decide what to do next, but he has already given me a list of future drugs and they include :- Azathioprine, and if that doesn't work move onto TNF, what ever that is.
My understanding is that the Budesonide is less harmfull to the organs than the Prednisol.

Good Luck,
I was on budesonide for quite a while and talked my Dr into letting me ween off as I was having side effects as if on prednisone (moon face, always hungry, couldnt lose weight, moody) But now that I have been off for 3-4 months, My joint pain is coming back. I have a call in to GI to probably get back on. I guess steroid symptoms arent painful, so I may have to deal with those.

Not sure this helped. It's just my situation

04-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #10
cyndenator

ask your doctor about plaquenil for the joint pain.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Anyone take Budesonide instead of Prednisone