Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Stelara/Ustekinumab » What meds have failed before you starred stelara?

02-16-2017, 05:55 AM   #1
woops!

What meds have failed before you starred stelara?

Getting ready for my first dose Friday. just curious as to what meds have failed for everyone? Mine are humira, methotrexate, remicade, Pentasa.
02-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
For me, Cimzia worked for a while and then it failed. The second time around, I had an allergic reaction to Remicade. I also had an allergic reaction to Flagyl. The same thing happened with Doxycycline. For me personally, Stelara never did anything for the Crohns Disease but everyone is different. Best to you.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
02-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
jonique

My Support Groups:
Getting ready for my first dose Friday. just curious as to what meds have failed for everyone? Mine are humira, methotrexate, remicade, Pentasa.
I tried humira, simponi, remicade, cimzia, methotrexate, sulfasalazine. Started stelara in April 2016 and it has been the best so far.

Good luck!

Migraines
Moderate Fatty Liver

Meds:
5-ASA (Salofalk)
Celebrex
Omeprazole

Previous meds:
Stellara, Cimzia, Simoni, Remade, Humira, Methotrexate, Entocort, Sulfasalazine

Surgery:
1. laparotomy 1986 - Dx Crohn's Disease
2. small bowel resection 1995
3. small bowel resection 2016
02-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ronroush were you on the higher dose for Crohns 90 mg or the lower psoriasis dose 45 mg?

They have found in order to be effective for Crohns
Stelera needs to be at a much higher dose (double ) that of psoriasis patients
02-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ronroush were you on the higher dose for Crohns 90 mg or the lower psoriasis dose 45 mg?

They have found in order to be effective for Crohns
Stelera needs to be at a much higher dose (double ) that of psoriasis patients
I am not sure.
02-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Maya142
Forum Monitor

For me, Cimzia worked for a while and then it failed. The second time around, I had an allergic reaction to Remicade. I also had an allergic reaction to Flagyl. The same thing happened with Doxycycline. For me personally, Stelara never did anything for the Crohns Disease but everyone is different. Best to you.
The Crohn's dose for Stelara is also given more frequently - 8 weeks vs. 12 weeks. So if it was prescribed for you as a psoriasis patient, then you may want to try it again at the IBD dose with the IV loading dose.
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
02-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I may ask my doctor. I don't know if I am not having much success with Humira or if I have c diff. I think they might have been giving me the psoriasis level because I am not sure if it was approved for Crohns yet.

04-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
DVM-2004

I have failed Remicade, Humira, Entyvio, and Cimzia. Failed many oral medications. 4 surgeries and will need another one. Start Stelara in May 2017.
04-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have failed Remicade, Humira, Entyvio, and Cimzia. Failed many oral medications. 4 surgeries and will need another one. Start Stelara in May 2017.
I hope you have much luck with Stelara.
04-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #10
jazzygirl52

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone. I started on the Biologics for Crohns /UC about 3 years ago with Humira. I had to drop that even though my stomach was awesome on it, I developed plaque psorasis.

Now I am on Remicade infusions but I have problems with it spiking my BP so we are stopping Remicade. I also take the Imuran.

Next drug is either going to be Stelara or Entyvio. Does anyone have a recommendation with positive results on either of these? Is there one that is more risky for other diseases?
04-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
DVM-2004

Hello Jazzygirl52. Everyone responds differently to meds....I doctor at Mayo in Rochester MN. I was on Entyvio for a few months. Talk to your doctor and ask for the stats on Entyvio for Crohns patients. I think (if I remember correctly) 1 person responds to the medication out of 4.??? Not great results, but it may just work great for you. Didn't work at all for me. I am currently on Cimzia right now. Taking 1 injection every 10 days along with Imuran. Its not working. I have been on Imuran for 12 years always along with other meds & Biologics. I will start Stelara next month and continue with Imuran.
04-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
jazzygirl52

My Support Groups:
I tried humira, simponi, remicade, cimzia, methotrexate, sulfasalazine. Started stelara in April 2016 and it has been the best so far.

Good luck!
I was on Pentasa for years then after colon cancer, put on Humira... allergic reaction to it in year two so switched to Remicade...not as good as Humira on my digestion and it made my BP go sky high. Now choice of Entyvio or Stelara?
04-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #13
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
I was on Pentasa for years then after colon cancer, put on Humira... allergic reaction to it in year two so switched to Remicade...not as good as Humira on my digestion and it made my BP go sky high. Now choice of Entyvio or Stelara?
I think entyvio takes longer to work. I've read Entyvio is generally more effective for people that have disease in their colon. If I had the choice I'd choose stelara as I have disease in my ileum/small bowel.

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet
04-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
jazzygirl52

My Support Groups:
I think entyvio takes longer to work. I've read Entyvio is generally more effective for people that have disease in their colon. If I had the choice I'd choose stelara as I have disease in my ileum/small bowel.
Just saw my GI and we discussed the two options of Entyvio and Stelara. He says patients have had very good luck with Entyvio...Stelara is newly prescribed for this issue in 2016 so a lot less is known. I would rather something that is specifically targeted for the GI tract vs have an impact on lots of other parts of my body.... have a few months to figure out.... Stelara is a syringe injection that I would administer... prefer Humira type pens but we will see. Any other peeps have thoughts?
04-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #15
woops!

I've been taking my Stelara now for about 10 weeks. It did take a while to work, but so far the results have been good. My current problem is c-diff. I plan to talk to GI about some good probiotics. Thanks for all the responses.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Stelara/Ustekinumab » What meds have failed before you starred stelara?