• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone had a Capsule Endoscopy?

I have had stomach/intestinal issues since my teens. I am now almost 36 years old and was just diagnosed with Crohn's a little over a year and a half ago. I had gotten to the place that I thought I was going to die. The pain was excruciating! I was hospitalized and had a colonoscopy that showed Crohn's in the terminal ileum. I was put on prednisone and followed up with my GI to figure out what treatment. I was in the process of getting insurance and it took a while. I was on prednisone for six months. I still continued to have some symptoms, though not as bad. My GI acted puzzled and said I should be in total remission. I got put on Remicade in March, and things seemed to be getting better. In July, I started having terrible pain again but not very much diarrhea, I now was dealing with some constipation. The pain got so bad I was hospitalized again, but nothing was showing up in blood work etc...I received another colonoscopy which came back clear, so my GI said I had IBS as well, and put me on nortriptyline. Things gradually got better and by January of this year I was feeling great for the first time in a long time. Then I got type A flu, and as the flu symptoms were getting better, I started getting Crohn's symptoms again. It has been about six weeks, and the pain has gotten intolerable again. My pcp did blood work, u/a, Ct and everything looked good. My GI said it must be IBS flaring up and told me to take a probiotic for two weeks. He said they could scope me again but just does not think it is Crohn's since last July the colonoscopy was clear. It does not feel like IBS to me. The pain yesterday was such a constant deep searing pain all day. Could it still be a Crohn's flare in my small bowel and the tests are all missing it? I have a call in to my GI to see if they will do the capsule endoscopy to check my small bowel. It's very frustrating!

Last edited:

Scipio

... Could it still be a Crohn's flare in my small bowel and the tests are all missing it? I have a call in to my GI to see if they will do the capsule endoscopy to check my small bowel. It's very frustrating!
Yes, it could be Crohn's confined to the small bowel. That's what mine is, and it was finally diagnosed by capsule endoscopy. Another procedure to consider is and MRI. That can image the small bowel too.

Thanks. I'm new to this forum. I just thought I'd get on here and ask. It sure seems like Crohn's flares and pain to me. I really like my GI, it just seems like if none of the tests that they do are showing it, he just writes it off as IBS and says I need to lower stress.

My GI's office called back today and said that he didn't want to do the capsule endoscopy, that he would rather do a Ct enterography. Is this better than the capsule endoscopy?

I unfortunately had one which led to me aspirating on the pill with my husband taking care of not the nurse. Then the capsil got stuck in the TI for over 6 days on that day they were going to take me into surgery but it finally passed after giving me so many steroids and magnesium citrate. So obviously proved the Crohn's Disease besides the Colonoscopy. MRI with contrast is my choice one. Some people don't have issues swallowing large pills I have a tiny throat so ya. Demand a little applesauce.

my little penguin

Staff member
Cte (ct entrography ) is a Ct scan with barium
Has a lot more radiation than an NRE
( MRI with entography)
Some GI prefer one over the other
Kids they prefer MRE since there is less radiation

Capsule endoscopy just looks at different views than a cte
Cte can show thickening or strictures

Pill cam can show the inside of the intestine through video so ulcers cobblestone etc...

Ds GI requires an MRE prior to any pillcam to make sure there are no strictures
So the pill cam doesn't get stuck

Typically it's
MRE
Then upper/lower scope with pill cam placed in the duodenum
During the scope
No wasting time watch the pill bob around in the stomach forever

Thanks everyone for the insight. I just hope something gets figured out. I'm still dealing with lots of pain. I just don't think it's just IBS.