Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia again?

03-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cimzia again?

Is it possible to repeat Cimzia again? The gi's office is considering switching me from Humira to Entyvio. Cimzia was successful for a while and then quit.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
03-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Clash
Forum Monitor

Cimzia is just like humira or remicade in that you could have built up antibodies to it if you were on it then came off. I'm assuming they have an antibodies level testing for Cimzia and you'd want to have that done.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
03-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
OK. Thanks

03-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My kids have been on biologics multiple times (but not Cimzia). My older daughter is on Humira for the second time. It's working really well for her - even though this is the second time.

However, both my girls have also been on Remicade multiple times and that did NOT work as well after the first time.

I would also recommend testing for antibodies before you start it.
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
03-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks. They are recommending Entyvio . If the doctor agrees that is probably what I will do
03-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Thanks. They are recommending Entyvio . If the doctor agrees that is probably what I will do
Ron, I would give a recommendation on Entyvio, but I have not been on it long enough to give an opinion. I have only had the first 2 loading doses. Right now I am having problems with diarrhea. I also have problems with deep fatigue for a couple of days after the infusion.

Good Luck in whatever is decided to go with.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
03-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ron, I would give a recommendation on Entyvio, but I have not been on it long enough to give an opinion. I have only had the first 2 loading doses. Right now I am having problems with diarrhea. I also have problems with deep fatigue for a couple of days after the infusion.

Good Luck in whatever is decided to go with.
Doug, is it given similar to Remicade!?

03-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Yes - infused but it's a short infusion (we were told 1 hour, but my daughter still goes to a children's hospital, so it may be faster for adults). The loading doses are the same as Remicade - at 0 weeks, 2 weeks and 6 weeks. Then every 8 weeks after that.

My daughter is starting Entyvio on Monday.

It takes time for Entyvio to work - we were told peak efficacy is between 14 and 22 weeks, so it's not quick like Remicade. Most people need to be steroids until it starts working.

The results for Crohn's are not as good as UC, but if you've failed everything else, it's worth a shot.
03-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Ron, It is an infusion like Remicade. The infusion itself lasts about 30 minutes and I have been in and out in 45 minutes. Maya142 is correct. Loading doses at weeks 0,2 and 6, then every 8 weeks.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia again?