Share Facebook

12-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #31
DanSJVDavis

Kev said:
....Regular peanut butter seems to give me heartburn... the low fat varieties don't.....

....I think it was the brand that Annette Funicello used to advertise.....
I believe that was Skippy that she always advertised.

And maybe I'll try the low fat kind. Peanut butter does kill me for heartburn and make my bowels go crazy because of the high stomach acid. That Smart Balance was the first one I tried, the one with the flax oil that says its natural, that didn't seem to bother me as much.

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
12-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #32
Mazen

I tried both the natural and the normal ones. Both don't seem to sit well in my tummy.... I read somewhere that peanut butter is hard to digest and also peanuts have mold which may not be very good for our intestines...
07-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #33
Lynne1408

I am fine with peanut butter. In fact, it is useful for filling in calories when other safe foods are unavailable. I love it on bananas and apples and it makes me feel full. I also use it to make a peanut butter sauce for noodles (gluten free)
12-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #34
goosfraba

Peanut butter Is high in fiber people with crohns have to stay away from fiber.
12-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #35
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I eat peanut butter almost every day. I have no issues with it. I don't think there is any rule that says all Crohnies need to stay away from fiber. Everyones disease is different. If I didn't have any fiber, I would never poop.
12-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #36
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I now avoid peanut butter, and other nut butters like the plague.

The reason why being that peanuts are one of the most susceptible foods to molds and mycotoxins and even further susceptible when they are ground up into a butter. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC164220/

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0023871
Recently a potential link between food-associated exposure to certain mycotoxins including DON, and the induction and/or persistence of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) in genetically predisposed patients has been suggested [25]. At realistic doses, mycotoxins are able to cause immune and intestinal alterations comparable with those involved in human chronic intestinal inflammatory diseases [24]. In addition, infections with enteric pathogens such as nontyphoidal Salmonella have been implicated in the etiology of IBD [30], [31].

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19414795

Mycotoxins are found in excess in nut butters, fish, whole de-shelled nuts, pre washed lettuces, poultry, red meats.

I believe the risks outweigh the benefits when it comes to peanut butter.

Now I only eat nuts with the shells intact still.

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
12-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #37
Sunnylight

Can you guys handle peanut butter well?

I don't think I can live without it - I'd rather give up my gallbla--- oh wait...

But seriously, I love peanut butter. It's always been a staple for me. But I am beginning to think it doesn't like me. Is it a no-no for people w/IBD?
Try Soy...
12-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #38
Higbonzo

Can you guys handle peanut butter well?

I don't think I can live without it - I'd rather give up my gallbla--- oh wait...

But seriously, I love peanut butter. It's always been a staple for me. But I am beginning to think it doesn't like me. Is it a no-no for people w/IBD?
It is different for each person, but for me as long as it not crunchy I am ok. My wife made peanut butter cookies with chuncky peanut butter. They are awesome, but they put a hurt on my belly, and I really try to chew them up good, but they still put a fear in me. I have only had a few, why do they have to taste so damb good?

I have an illeostomy and if I eat any type of nuts, seedy food, or skinned food I can alway find the bits and pieces in my pouch. Usually about the same size as I chewed it up, just doesn't seem to break down much. I try to stay away those foods, or just eat small amounts, so I don't get jammed up. Apples are the worst. I have not ate a complete apple in 20 years, just a few bite and I know what I did wrong later.

Hope this helps.

Later...
12-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #39
skylardaisy

My Support Groups:
I recently attended a conference on CD. One of the speakers was a dietitian who specialized in IBD. She encouraged the eating of peanut butter because of the high protein content.
I love the stuff, myself. It is actually one of my comfort foods.
12-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #40
Sunnylight

I have also heard that nuts
are harder to digest.. So, I have tried soy.. Not as good but, seems ok with no problem..
12-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #41
Sunnylight

Your soo right.. It seems as if moderation is the key if yu wanta be bad.. With not getting a belly ache...
07-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #42
burl_hall

Creamy peanut butter works well for me. It helps me for at leas 3-5 hours.