Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Had surgery 2 weeks ago

03-15-2017, 03:21 AM   #1
melissaharv90

Had surgery 2 weeks ago

Hey everybody, looking for a little advice. I had surgery on March 2nd to remove a stricture in my terminal ileum/cecum (this is my 4th surgery in this location- first in 2002, second and third in 2010). I was in the hospital about a week as I had some issues with nausea and vomiting postop. Now I'm home, and my postop soreness has improved a lot. I have a good appetite. Minimal nausea, no vomiting. However my biggest issue has been bad cramping and tightness on my right side, the same kind that I had from my stricture before surgery. It is mostly relieved with passing gas and bowel movement, but I feel like I struggle to pass it, just like before surgery. Can anybody speak to having these symptoms postop? It is discouraging as I wonder if the scar tissue in there is causing another stricture-like semi-blockage to occur.
03-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
yellowamc

My Support Groups:
I had very similar pain after both of my surgeries and pretty much all the time to a certain degree. More so when im getting close to my infusion date. Its like a raw sore feeling in the mid to lower right side . what i usually find though when im having a real problem like i did last week it seems to travel across mid section all the way to left side. Hang in there I know how u feel
03-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
Everything was weird for me for at least 3 weeks, then it settled down. It stands to reason that that part would be painful, with everything it's been through, and it's now in use again.
03-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
I heard of someone who had a similar problem and it was due to how the surgeon placed the anastomosis - it was too narrow. They had to have it dilated and was fine after that.

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet
05-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
rorho19

My Support Groups:
Melissah90...did this resolve? I guessed maybe it was a bit of post op swelling at the join...in which case it would go away in time.

I know when I had a disc removed from my back they warned the operation takes the pain away immediately and then a week or so later if comes back for a week or so while all the nerves and everything heals...and that's what happened.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Had surgery 2 weeks ago