Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » I can't eat food! Only liquid nutrition help!!! Support Group

07-08-2017, 02:25 AM   #31
Deliwi

My Support Groups:
Hi Juulez, You poor sole. I know how you feel, but just wanted to tell you that I saw a Medical Herbalist and he put me on a product called Life Greens (even tho I cannot eat any green vegetable) and it helped a lot.
It is actually a powder made up of Slippery Elm and several other helpful vitamins and minerals and also has probiotics in it. I found it really helpful and easy to take (tasted nicer when mixed with a little Aloe juice). Good luck
10-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #32
MaryCherub

putting it into my coffee
Interesting that you can drink coffee.

Any sort of caffeine (coffee, tea, cola, energy drinks), makes me flare up.
10-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #33
MaryCherub

ensure plus

I have never heard of Ensure Plus.

But the original Ensure has loads of crap in it.

My doctor tried to put me on it - thanks but no thanks was my reply.

I really find it amazing, that they prescribe it to people with IBD.

Some of the ingredients like canola oil, sugar, artificial sweeteners, soy, milk, carrageenan, artificial flavours, have all been indicated in flares and worsening of IBD. Not to mention other health issues.

I am completely mystified
10-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #34
MaryCherub

For example:

The product Ensure contains five added stabilizers, one of which is Carrageenan.

In a study, certain emulsifiers (stabilizers) caused chronic colitis in mice

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...e-colitis.aspx

Or this more scientific report:

Carrageenan is a very common food additive in Western diets, but predictably causes inflammation in thousands of cell-based and animal experiments. Carrageenan intake contributed to earlier relapse in patients with ulcerative colitis in remission. Restriction of dietary carrageenan may benefit patients with ulcerative colitis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5389019/

Therefore, if carrageenan has been scientifically proven to cause colitis or make colitis worse.........why on earth are doctors prescribing Ensure to people with IBD?

I am truly mystified about this one
10-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #35
MaryCherub

Dr said tea and coffee ok no creamer or milk though
My doctor gave me the most useless advice too.

In fact, one of the foods he suggested I eat a lot of, actually turned out to be the very worst things imaginable for me. Unbelievable. After that, I sought nutritional guidance from a naturopath instead.

https://www.ibdrelief.com/diet/role-...ffeine-and-ibd
10-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #36
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Definitely caffeine and milk are rubbish for me. Shame, I love tea. Have to stay off it though.

Last edited by Spooky1; 10-15-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling.
10-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #37
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have never heard of Ensure Plus.

But the original Ensure has loads of crap in it.

My doctor tried to put me on it - thanks but no thanks was my reply.

I really find it amazing, that they prescribe it to people with IBD.

Some of the ingredients like canola oil, sugar, artificial sweeteners, soy, milk, carrageenan, artificial flavours, have all been indicated in flares and worsening of IBD. Not to mention other health issues.

I know its weird, but other very specific enteral diets such as Modulen IBD for instance have questionnable ingredients and it does put CD in remission for a lot of patients. Main ingredient is corn syrup and the powder is loaded with sugar! I already tried it and it tasted very sugary. This product is commonly used in the pediatric population instead of cortico-steroids in CD and it works for many patients. I had called Nestlé to encourage them to have better ingredients. Back then it was GMO corn syrup, but I think they may have simply removed it on the ingredient label. In Canada, there is no law forcing to mention GMO's in the ingredient list.
https://www.nestlehealthscience.ca/e...en/modulen-ibd

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
10-16-2017, 01:09 AM   #38
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lady, that is so shocking. I never really trusted them, and I certainly don't now. I have E028Extra.
10-16-2017, 02:27 AM   #39
MaryCherub

Yes I know it seems to help some people Lady. But then you have the paradox of it containing ingredients that have been proven to induce colitis.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » I can't eat food! Only liquid nutrition help!!! Support Group