• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SC Diet and Klebsiella?

I understand that the SC Diet's goal is to starve the Klebsiella bacteria. I am wondering if the efficacy of the diet is related to the amount of Klebsiella in a person's gut? i.e Is it only for people that have an overgrowth of Klebsiella that this diet would help?

My husband has Crohn's and we are trying to find the right diet for him. His GI-MAP stool test results did not show elevated amounts of Klebsiella. Does that mean that the SC Diet would not work for him since his Klebsiella are not out of control? Or, is it that no matter how little Klebsiella there are in the gut, they are still provoking an auto-immune mimicry response that is damaging the gut?

There are many more pathogens than just Klebsiealla that an SCD diet helps reduce/control, including types of e.coli and mycobacterium.

Thanks for your reply! He actually has elevated levels of Morganella and C. Difficile. But I couldn't find any info on the efficacy of a low-starch diet for those specific strains. I checked out your link and it did vaguely mention that the diet starves harmful bacteria, but I'd be interested to see more specific research. I've only seen research on the benefit of a low-starch diet in eradicating klebsiella.

There was a study done on various foods and which bacteria increase / decrease, I give my take on it in this post
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/2015/07/07/eat-away-those-food-intolerances/

Summary of diet-induced dysbiosis

Diet Bacteria Altered Effect on Bacteria References
High-fat
Bifidobacteria spp. Decreased (absent) [45]
High-fat and high-sugar
Clostridium innocuum, Catenibacterium mitsuokai and Enterococcus spp. Increased [18]
Bacteroides spp. Decreased [18]

Carbohydrate-reduced
Bacteroidetes Increased [49]

Calorie-restricted
Clostridium coccoides, Lactobacillus spp. and Bifidobacteria spp. Decreased (growth prevented) [48]

Complex carbohydrates
Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis and Enterobacteriaceae Decreased [49]
B. longum subspecies longum, B.breve and B. thetaiotaomicron Increased [53]
Refined sugars
C. difficile and C. perfringens Increased [54,55]
Vegetarian

E. coli Decreased [56]
High n-6 PUFA from safflower oil
Bacteroidetes Decreased [59,60]
Firmicutes, Actinobacteria and Proteobacteria Increased [59,60]
δ-Proteobacteria Increased [61]
Animal milk fat
δ-Proteobacteria Increased [62]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3448089/