Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Shingles while on Remicade

03-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Shingles while on Remicade

So I have been diagnosed with shingles. Doctor is checking to see if I can take oral anti viral meds or have to go on iv meds....:y batty:
Anyone have experience they can share????

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
03-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hope you feel better soon.
03-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
Wow sorry to hear that.
I have been struggling with the decision on whether or not to get the shingles vaccination. Out of curiosity, did you ever have to vaccination?
03-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Wow sorry to hear that.
I have been struggling with the decision on whether or not to get the shingles vaccination. Out of curiosity, did you ever have to vaccination?
No, I did not get the shot, I've been on Remicade since before the shot was popular..... Never knew about it when I started my infusions.
03-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
No, I did not get the shot, I've been on Remicade since before the shot was popular..... Never knew about it when I started my infusions.
Yes, i'm on Remicade as well. Wasn't sure if we can get the shot while we are on Remicade.
03-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
As it is a live vaccine, we can't get it.
03-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Well, the rash I have is oh so lovely....... NOT!!!! it is on my right side, have to wear loose shirts and no bra..... Still have a few blisters but it looks like things are calming down.

I did get a prescription for Lyrica, started it and it appears to be helping, plus I got to take a nap lol..... Taking another dose before bed so hopefully I can get a full night's sleep.

I have to call the Dr on Monday to check in and see if I can go back to work, if I still have un-crusted blisters I get to stay out longer..... Which really would be a bummer as I have an important class to teach on Wednesday!!!!!
04-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
cyndenator

I got the shingles vaccine about 5 years ago as I had high ana count but ws not diagnosed with crohns until last December. because I was under 65 I had to pay for the shot myself but I think it was well worth it as I am now going into the infusion meds since azathioprine caused me acute pancreatitis. I know shingles is bad and pray for your rapid recovery
05-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
cornhuskernick

I recently had Remicade infusions re-introduced after being off for close to five years. I ended up in the hospital with a body temperature of 105 two weeks after infusion one. Days after infusion two I developed severe joint pain and was unable to walk (first time experiencing joint pain). Two weeks following my third infusion I developed shingles.

Prior to the third infusion antibody testing revealed I had low level antibodies.

Are the shingles a result of a compromised immune system or a reaction to the Remicade?
05-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Not sure but I would lean towards a reaction to Remicade.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Shingles while on Remicade