Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » C-diff and possible Crohn's


03-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
RippMama
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Utah
C-diff and possible Crohn's

My 14-year-old son has been having bloody stools since December. We thought it was hemorrhoids, so tried increasing good foods, water, using stool softeners, etc. It has progressed to the point of fevers, constipation, stomach pain, incredible pain and bleeding with BMs and just feeling lousy. With the first round of fevers (early March), doc did blood work, which showed elevated SED rate and anemia. He said to re-check in two weeks. Son felt some better for a few days, and then fevers returned, so we went to the ER at our children's hospital. More blood work (elevated CRP, slightly low hematocrit), and we met with a GI who was very suspicious of Crohn's and scheduled a colonoscopy. They sent us home with a stool kit to get a sample. It took a few days to get one, but finally succeeded yesterday. It came back positive for c-diff!! Which has me so confused! C-diff with constipation?!?!! So we're supposed to talk to the GI to see if he still wants to do the scope (have to wait until tomorrow to call). Is it possible that he could have both?? Will they even do a scope with c-diff going on? I have had Crohn's for 20 years, but this is very different from what I deal with.
__________________
Diagnosed with Crohn's in 1997
Small bowel resection & anastomosis in 1999
Years of remission
Small bowel resection & anastomosis in 2015
Meds: Humira
03-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

My Support Groups:
Many kids have had C Diff and Crohns

A lot of kids on here have constipation with their Crohns
Ds is one of those
Not sure on scoping with c diff ???
I would assume they would wait for it to clear first

Keep us updated
__________________
DS - -Crohn's -Stelara
03-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
Farmwife
Forum Monitor
 
Farmwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan

My Support Groups:
My grace was first dx with cdiff but after doing the antibiotics, she still was sick.
So the gi scoped and found ibd.

I would think they would wait until the cdiff cleared before doing scopes.
Cdiff itself can be very serious.
I pray he feels better soon.
__________________
I'm mom to............... Little Farm Girl 8 yr old
Ibd (microscopic)
(12/28/12),
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
03-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Maya142
Forum Monitor
 
Maya142's Avatar
They usually do wait for CDiff to get better before doing scopes. Usually with CDiff you'd have watery diarrhea, many times a day. In fact, often the lab won't even test solid stool samples. I'm not sure what that means for your kiddo's results - I guess the infection could just have presented differently?

But anyway, with Crohn's, kids can have constipation or diarrhea (or both or neither)! It really varies.

Let us know what your doctor says.
__________________
Mom of M (20)
diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at 16
Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis at 12
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
03-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Maya142
Forum Monitor
 
Maya142's Avatar
Wanted to add - he will probably need antibiotics for 10 days or more for the CDiff. Usually Flagyl or Vancomycin. My kiddo has Crohn's and has had CDiff twice.
03-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
RippMama
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Utah
Yeah, it's the lack of diarrhea with c-diff that's really thrown me. He started flagyl today and frankly feels worse than ever. He has been running a pretty high fever and has slept the whole day.
03-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
Maya142
Forum Monitor
 
Maya142's Avatar
My kiddo did better on Vancomycin vs. on Flagyl - might be worth asking about.
03-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
Farmwife
Forum Monitor
 
Farmwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan

My Support Groups:
Is his fever any better? Did you call his doctor to report it?
03-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
RippMama
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Utah
Fever is much better today. Doc is changing him to Vancomycin and postponing colonoscopy for now. He still feels like there's more to the story than just c-diff, still highly suspicious of Crohn's.
03-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #10
Farmwife
Forum Monitor
 
Farmwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan

My Support Groups:
That's a good doc. My own daughter was dismissed because they thought that cdiff was the whole issue. Sadly not the case.
I hope that's not the case for your son but it's better to be vigilant.
04-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
RippMama
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Utah
Update: Scopes were done yesterday, and he has Crohn's. Such a lousy thing to pass to your kid!! My heart is broken for him because, having lived with this stupid disease for 20 years, I know how awful it can be. Thankfully he has grown up around it, but I don't believe he comprehends just how nasty it can be. Wishing I could shield him from all of it!!

The plan is to do a short burst of prednisone and then right to Humira. Praying he responds well and gets back to growing like a teenage boy should.
04-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
my little penguin
Forum Monitor
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

My Support Groups:
Hugs
Glad you got a dx quickly
Sorry he is joining the club

Did they mention supplemental nutrition as well?
Most kids use it here in addition to meds
(Ds is on humira and mtx)
But drinks neocate jr with food to keep up with weight and growth

Best of luck to you and him
04-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #13
Maya142
Forum Monitor
 
Maya142's Avatar
Sending hugs!! Thankfully, there are some good medications options now, like Humira.

If you're on Humira, you know that the shots hurt. We used ice before and after the shots and did them while watching TV, so my girls were distracted. That helped.

I would also recommend supplemental enteral nutrition. Some kids are able to drink shakes, other need to use feeding tubes. You could start out with OTC shakes like Ensure and Boost. If those don't work, then usually a semi-elemental shake like Pediasure Peptide or Peptamen Jr is the next step. Then finally elemental shakes like Neocate.

My daughter was unable to gain weight until we got her on enteral nutrition. It made a huge difference - she went from being severely underweight and malnourished to a normal teenager. She uses a feeding tube, but many kids are able to drink the shakes.
04-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #14
pdx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Hope that your son's treatment works well for him and that he starts feeling better soon.
__________________
Daughter E (15) dx with Crohn's 12/18/14 at age 12

Current treatment:

Remicade started 12/24/14 (currently on 9 mg/kg every 6 weeks)
Oral methotrexate restarted 12/2/16 (15 mg weekly)
vitamin D, folic acid, multivitamin, Prozac

Past Treatment
90% EN via NG tube 2/9/15 - 4/2/15
50% EN via NG tube 4/3/15 - 4/18/15
Supplemental EN via NG tube 5/7/15-6/19/15
Budesonide 3/3/15-6/30/15
Oral methotrexate 3/13/15 - 5/14/16 (15 mg weekly)
Topical clobetasol for Remicade-induced psoriasis
Reply

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » C-diff and possible Crohn's
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.
Copyright 2006-2017 Crohnsforum.com