• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Wanting to try something new

My name is Shanda (37yrs old) and I live in Canada. I was diagnosed with
Crohn's in 2012. I have been using imuran to control my disease this whole time. A few days ago I began using CBD oil and some tea at night and I am hoping I can treat my disease with that instead of pharmaceuticals. I'm experimenting to see if it actually works! I'm looking forward to seeing what others write and learning more about this disease from everyone on here.

Welcome. Sending my best and hoping you can find something to get you in remission. Keep us updated on how you are doing.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Shanda,

i was very well in remission for 6 years with Imuran cousin drug purinethol and decided to stop it. I had no side effect with the drug and was perfectly healthy. I must say its the biggest regret in my life as I relapsed a year after cutting the meds and this lead to myriads of troubles since, including onset of chronic arthritis. If your CD was moderate to severe, go very carefully and especially very slowly cutting your medication. I tried CBD oil last year without success. Each patient is different, some cut medication and do well, but others dont. I know of two moderate-severe patients who stopped medication and have been still in remission for 4-5 years now, one with diet. Its truly a risk to stop a medication that is keeping well. Most importantly, discuss this with your Gi so he/she can monitor you more closely. When I stopped my medication, I hid this to my GI, that was another big mistake, I promised myself never to do this again. When we have been years in remission, we can come to forget how serious this disease can be...
I'd combine with a diet plan too along with oil. You may want to take a look at IBD-aid in my signature. wishing you well.

Last edited:

Bufford

I found many treatments made me feel worse than the Crohn's. Some people can tolerate them, but for my system they made me sick. I found that finding the right alternative is not easy. In my search Tumeric Curcuma powder works well. I take a teaspoon and mix it in a glass of water on an empty stomach between breakfast and lunch. Avoid taking it in the evening as it might interupt sleep. Managing stress helps a lot too. When I was younger I worried too much, now I don't sweat anything; that in itself takes a large load off of the body.

Scipio

I agree with Lady Organic. Be very cautious about a discontinuing a medication that is working for you.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."