• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nice to meet you, I'm recently diagnosed

Hello everyone,

My name is Jess, and it is sure nice to be here. I received a diagnosis of severe Crohn's disease two weeks ago, and since then it's been tough trying to cope with a million emotions, learn more about this condition, and carry on with the rest of my life as usual all at once! I'm happy to find an active community of people supporting each other!

My stomach has always been a bit touchy, but I only considered something more serious might be going on after I had my gallbladder removed last year. Two months after surgery my stomach was more unpredictable than ever. I tried a few diets to get things under control (FODMAP and high-fiber paleo), but those only made things worse. It's only now that I'm learning more about Crohn's that I see what a mistake those diets were, but it's nice to have an answer for why they didn't work for me, at least.

In the last two weeks I've already had to deal with a rectal abscess (the single worst experience I've ever survived) on top of the anemia I picked up somewhere around the paleo diet. I've started on Pentasa but haven't noticed any changes yet, and I'm actively working on getting my stress levels under control. I only just turned 30, so it's weird to think that if I live to be an 80-year-old grandma, I'll have had this disease for 50 years. Still getting used to the idea, I guess.

Anyway, that's enough about me for now. Looking forward to getting to know the rest of the community here! :ysmile:

cmack

Staff member
Welcome Jess,

We are very supportive people. Check out the site, make some new friends and hopefully find some useful info. I'm 38 and got very ill at 27 with a major abscess and all the lovely fistulas to go along with it. I am undiagnosed but I most certainly have some kind of IBD.
Talk to me any time.

Welcome again,

cmack

Scipio

Welcome. You may well have this disease for 50 years, but thanks to modern medicine and with a little bit of luck you won't suffer for 50 years. Chances are very good that one combination of medications or another combined with general attention to your health and adjustments to your diet and you will enjoy many years of disease remission during that coming half century.

Welcome, Jesse. You have found a good support group here. Looking forward to hearing more from you. I am sixty and was diagnosed with Crohns at 34. Come anytime.