• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira, Cimzia, Stelara or Remicade?

tonya_n_ky

I have been in "remission"...if there's really such a thing with this disease? We're always dealing with other issues due to it.
I went in the hospital the last week in Feb. with a bowel obstruction. It was from scar tissue, strictures, etc.. I had a colonoscopy that confirmed what the hospital mri found. Then, I had another mri yesterday to check my small bowel. (Which the scope couldn't get into)
Today, I had follow up with my GI and she suggested Imuran and a biologic. I wanted to do some research on them before I made the choice of which one to go on. I had my labs drawn today to be ready.
My question is the pros and cons? I know Remicade is most likely out of the picture because of the cost.
Thanks everyone for responses. :heart:

There is a program called Remistart if you want to try Remicade. With Remicade, you sit in the hospital for a few hours while you get the infusion. I am getting ready to start Entyvio. My understanding is that you don't have to spend as long in the hospital. With Humira, you give yourself a shot by either pen or syringe. I used the pen. It was a little painful but it just lasted a couple of minutes. With Humira, you can get set up with the Complete program and you get a card where you only pay five dollars every pen or syringe. I think Entyvio has a similar program. With more than one of the biologics, I had to be tested for tuberculosis. With Entyvio, the medicine is specifically for the gut but some of the other biologics, they also help with other autoimmune disorders. Wish you the best.

Most of the biologics cost about the same and most offer programs where you can get the meds for a 5 dollar co-pay as long as you have health insurance. My question would be...What meds are you on now? and what kind of monitoring did your GI have you on to go from remission to obstruction? I would go with Remicade.

I've been on remicade for well over a decade and it has been ok, at least kept me fairly level/functional. I think the "downside" is it has to be administraterd in infusion clinic, which if you have a typical 9-5 type job can be a burden. I don't have a 9-5, I have flexible hours and they now give me the dose only over 1 hr, so for me it works. Good luck.

Humira and Imuran seem pretty good to me (I'm on humira and MTX, though). I also have scar tissue, but at the moment alot of inflammation still. Humira/Imuran/MTX won't deal with scar tissue and the like, but will with inflammation. If you go on it, you can wait six months to see if some inflammation can get knocked down by the drug, or keep you in remission, and if the strictures/scar tissue start causing trouble by themselves, you can discuss options with your GI/colorectal surgeon for balloon dilation/strictureplasty/resection etc. Which, to be honest, is to far down the road I suspect.

tonya_n_ky

I am on Apriso. That's been my maintenance drug. Last colonoscopy 2 yrs ago showed "remission". At the time, I didn't have stomach pain. I had a lot of flu like symptoms. Just over all felt like crap. I continued the Apriso and went on with life. Getting my family Dr to basically treat me when needed. (I know... not so smart but when GI says your in remission and have a good day... ugh)
So when the blockage came it was fast. Started hurting that afternoon and in hospital that night. I swear become so use to dealing with the pain that it becomes normal. Or has for me.
Then follow up colonoscopy and mri of small bowel has showed the mess my colon is in. Current meds are Imuran, Uceris, Apriso. GI plans to take me off the Uceris and Apriso when we start the biologics.
Also do b12 injections, vitamin d and iron. Celexa, multivitamin, probotics and Questran powder.