• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions

My child's receives mtx shots and I would like to know if there is a blood test to monitor side effects of this drug? I noticertainly that her hands were quite warm after the shot was given. She does complain of being gassy a day later. She began drinking the pediasure peptide last week. Thank you guys for recommending this. She is tolerating this better than previous drinks. Also, have any of you tried the scd diet with your kids?

Maya142

Staff member
They will usually do a CBC and liver function tests every so often after MTX is started. Some kids have trouble with their WBC dropping a little or liver function tests become elevated (AST or ALT).

Usually, it is very well tolerated.

Some kids do have GI side effects - usually nausea is the biggest complaint. Some kids have diarrhea the day after the shot.

We have not tried the SCD but there are some members on here who have.

When we started MTX about 4 months ago we did weekly labs followed by biweekly and now once a month. Liver and kidney function as well as wbc are the big concerns as said above.
We had a rough first six weeks but now our daughter tolerates it just fine.
We started strict scd three months ago. We don't have extensive labs until end of May so I don't know what our success is with it yet. If you have any questions about the diet please feel free to contact me.

My son has been on strict scd for over 3 years. We make no variations and he just had his quarterly labs and FCP, all good. Annual scope coming up in June. I'm happy to talk!

Grace did blood draws for mtx
every week for four weeks,
Then once every other week for a month
Then once every month

Optimistic, Do you have a scd formula? We aren't using formula while we trial the diet because of the ingredients.