• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade dosage increase

My daughter is currently receiving infusion's. Previous lab work shows her levels low. Just want to get some feedback from those whose kids dosage amounts were increased.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter's dose was increased - we started at 5 mg/kg, then went up to 7.5 mg/kg and then several months later 10 mg/kg.

She had no side effects with the dose increase.

Kids often need higher doses, it's not uncommon.

DS started at 5mg/kg every eight weeks. He kept petering out around 6 1/2 weeks (fatigue and nausea) so we had him tested and he had no Remi in his body at 8 weeks. His GI bumped him to 7.5mg/kg and every six weeks and he's been great since. I think that's part of the magic of Remi is that you can play with doses and timelines to see what works best for your child.

OK guys. I sincerely apologize if this question has been asked before. I've tried reading a lot here before askin questions. Has weight played a part in the dosage increase? She is 4'11 and 88lbs.

Maya142

Staff member
No problem!! Weight can play a part. The dose is usually mg/kg, so as the kiddo gains weight, the dose has to be increased. So for example, if she was 40 kg and and at 5 mg/kg, she'd get 200 mg. If her weight increased to 45 kg, then they'd give her 225 mg, if they wanted her on the same dose.

Or if her levels are low at that dose, then they would increase the whole dose. So from 5 mg/kg they may up it 7.5 mg/kg.

Does that make sense? It's a bit confusing.

No problem!! Weight can play a part. The dose is usually mg/kg, so as the kiddo gains weight, the dose has to be increased. So for example, if she was 40 kg and and at 5 mg/kg, she'd get 200 mg. If her weight increased to 45 kg, then they'd give her 225 mg, if they wanted her on the same dose.

Or if her levels are low at that dose, then they would increase the whole dose. So from 5 mg/kg they may up it 7.5 mg/kg.

Does that make sense? It's a bit confusing.
Thanks for the info. She is currently at 5mg/kg.

Weight was a factor in DS' bump to 7.5mg/kg. He was hovering just under 50kg and the breakpoint for an increase was 50kg. I don't remember the details, but his GI had to follow some pretty strict protocol and couldn't up the dose without approvals (from insurance?). Anyway, DS finally, broke 50kg and it all worked out.

My daughter's dose was increased - we started at 5 mg/kg, then went up to 7.5 mg/kg and then several months later 10 mg/kg.

She had no side effects with the dose increase.

Kids often need higher doses, it's not uncommon.
Agree with Maya. This was very similar with my daughter. She's at 10mg now, but started at 5 and worked her way up. No side effects.