Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Complications from Colon Surgery

04-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
aparrish

Complications from Colon Surgery

Today was a low day. It has been 4 weeks since my colon resection. Last week I was hospitalized for an abscess that they decided to treat with antibiotics. I was starting to feel better but in the middle of the night the pain started again and it is excruciating.

I am waiting for the surgeon's nurse to get back to me. I figure waiting here at home is better than the ER. Last time we sat there for 6 hours. I feel like I am at my wit's end. I cannot take this pain anymore. The pain meds are doing nothing. And it has been 7 damn hours since I called the doctor.

Someone please say something encouraging or tell me what to do.

Hopefully someone decides to respond. The last time I posted here I heard nothing.

XO,
Andrea
04-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
Sorebutt26

Today was a low day. It has been 4 weeks since my colon resection. Last week I was hospitalized for an abscess that they decided to treat with antibiotics. I was starting to feel better but in the middle of the night the pain started again and it is excruciating.

I am waiting for the surgeon's nurse to get back to me. I figure waiting here at home is better than the ER. Last time we sat there for 6 hours. I feel like I am at my wit's end. I cannot take this pain anymore. The pain meds are doing nothing. And it has been 7 damn hours since I called the doctor.

Someone please say something encouraging or tell me what to do.

Hopefully someone decides to respond. The last time I posted here I heard nothing.

XO,
Andrea
Oh Andrea. I can't help I'm afraid, but didn't want to read and run

I hope you're ok and the pain eases off soon.
Is it worth calling them again? XxX

04-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry for the pain and the unresponsiveness of your doctor. I would keep calling until you get an answer. If you don't hear back soon, you may need to go to the ER.
04-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Jabee

My Support Groups:
This sounds terrible. Have you heard from your surgeon or his nurse? Are you still at home? Let us know and I hope you aren't in this much pain for too long. Sounds like something is wrong.
04-23-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
Cheesy79

My Support Groups:
I've been where you're at too many times. In fact, I'm there now. I recently had a major surgery to rid abscesses and to clean out my small intestines (I don't have a colon and they had to take out my rectum completely.). When I woke up on the ventilator, the surgeon said my intestines were full of Crohn's. It was disheartening. I was hoping this to be an end to the excruciating pain. No go. But I had blood in my diaper before I was one and I'm 37. I've had 12 surgeries. I know it gets better. Sad thing is the medical community is around sick people a lot and they forget it's really serious. But here's the caveat, after surgery I was in way too much pain. I went to the ER and they did blood cultures. They gave me pain medicine and released me. I went back two days later and they told me I had MRSA. I had to go back to the hospital from a few days and now I am doing home antibiotics via pic line. I still hurt a lot but it's much better. Hang in there. I know it's hard but if you can't take it go to the ER. The ER can be difficult for me: the wait, the label, the test, and they think I'm drug seeking. But sometimes you need a CT scan. It takes a little bit of judgement. I'm sorry your doctor hasn't gotten back to you. I hope you start to feel better and I'm sorry you didn't get a reply the last time. It's happened to me too.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Complications from Colon Surgery