Share Facebook

04-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Aza & Allergies

Hey all!

I've noticed that since I've been on azathioprine my allergies don't appear to be troubling me as much as usual. I'm normally a snivelling wreck by this time of year with hay fever, and I managed to clip my horses heavy winter coat off last week without even a sneeze! I've even got a bit lax about taking my antihistamine and haven't noticed any increase in symptoms as a result.

Although my allergy to horses has lessened slightly over the years, the first time I sat on one I came out in hives! Even these days I can easily have streaming eyes, nose, and a terrible stuffed up head if I'm around them for too long.

This is very welcome whatever the cause! The hospital did tell me aza should help with my rosacea so I wondered if the same could be true of allergies with them being an immune response and all!?

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
04-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't know but it sounds like it could be.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
05-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
Doesn't seem to have helped my hay fever.

I asked my doctor this specifically when I started Aza, and he said unfortunately it's a different part of the immune system.
05-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Doesn't seem to have helped my hay fever.

I asked my doctor this specifically when I started Aza, and he said unfortunately it's a different part of the immune system.

Thanks! Perhaps just a coincidence then :-)
05-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Not helped my hayfever or asthma either :-(

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet