• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update - hoping for a diagnosis

Hello!
Like I´ve told you before, I´ve been struggling with diarrhea and ab pain since I was a child (just turned 26), and have taken plenty of exams since. Up to now I don´t have a diagnosis, changed doctors recently and so we´re running new tests. Doctors can´t figure out wether I have Crohns or Irritated Bowel Syndrome (which is WAY better in terms of development, despite the similar symptoms).

He gave me medication for IBS as a test, and I actually started feeling better and had my hope high... until last weekend, when I suffered A LOT (AND was out of state, in my husband´s godmother´s house). Just don´t know what to expect anymore.

In the last weeks I took several blood tests (all of them came back normal, except from CRP that was slightly up), lactosis intolerance test (negative), stool tests (they found some muccus - nothing I didn´t already see with my own eyes).

Last week I took a new Barium Meal (my last one was 5 years ago), and I had the exact same result as the last one: filling deffects in the ileum due to hypertrophy of lymphoid follicles. Just don´t know what that means exactly, but the guy who x-rayed me (and saw the previous x rays) asked me whether I had crohns.

I´m taking the capsule endoscopy next week, and my hopes are high on finding something out (since we´re paying R$3800 for the test - something near US$1900 - no health insurance covers this one in Brazil). My doctor sayd he wasn´t putting me through a new colonoscopy since the last one was normal and I have the exact same symptoms as in my last crisis. Guess he´s right. He told me if any test could show him something NEW, it´s the capsule endoscopy.

Well, guess I´ll just come back with further news after the test.

Dont give up, crohns or any simular disease is very hard to diagnose, I pretty much seemed regular in most test except my blood and I had watery stools since the 5th grade. They only finaly diagnosed it when I had a large cyst and if that never had happened I probably would still not be diagnosed with it. Crohns or IM are hard to diagnose cause there are no tests for it and is not understood what causes it.