Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » How do you face a first surgery?

05-18-2017, 03:19 AM   #1
rorho19

My Support Groups:
How do you face a first surgery?

How do you cope with the anxiety, the uncertainty of outcome and the fear of pain.
05-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Prayer or getting yourself involved in a hobby. You will be alright. Please let us know how you are.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
05-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
How do you cope with the anxiety, the uncertainty of outcome and the fear of pain.
Talking to someone, doctor, psychologist, friends, here on the forum.....

Do some research, but be aware usually worst case scenarios are found on the internet - stick with credible sources such as hospital web sites for information on whatever surgery is to be performed. This site is a wealth of knowledge too.

Make a checklist of questions to bring up with your doctor, also during pre-op testing (which is usually required).

As for pain - remember pain is temporary, and there are ways to control it - do NOT be afraid to ask about pain relief, different options etc.

I'm probably looking at knee surgery in the near future, I had it done 20+ years ago and vaguely remember what I went through.....I know from experience over the years to keep up on pain meds, as trying to get through breakthrough pain after meds wear off can be a real pain in the arse.

After surgery, do not be afraid to talk to your doctor/surgeon especially if something doesn't seen right.

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » How do you face a first surgery?