Share Facebook

05-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
newdiagnosis

Sulfasalazine

Has anyone had any success with sulfasalazine? I have inflammation primarily in my terminal ileum. However, I also have knee swelling that is rather bothersome. My rheumatologist recommended I try sulfasalazine, as that tends to help both the knees and intestinal inflammation. However, since sulfasalazine is mainly for colonic inflammation (becomes active in the colonic), maybe that might not be the best choice? What do you all think?
05-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Sulfasalazine was the medication I was put on when I was first diagnosed. It worked well for me for years, I was on it from 1996 until 2001 (I believe) when it stopped working and I was switched. I'm afraid I don't have any other info for you. But, if you're concerned I would mention it to your medical team...

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
05-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
newdiagnosis

What type of inflammation did you have? Isolated to the ileum?
05-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I believe so, but can't remember. This doctor that originally diagnosed me kept changing my diagnosis until I switched doctors and insurance in 2013. At that time, my new doctor told my husband and I that the inflammation was rectal. So, am afraid that I'm not sure. Just know that this medication did help me for awhile.
05-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
newdiagnosis

Thank you. Reason why I am asking is because sulfasalazine becomes active in the terminal ileum/colon. I am worried that it won't work for me as my inflammation is in the ileum. Thanks.
05-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Jabee

My Support Groups:
I believe that sulfasalazine releases in the colon, but it is also used for rheumatoid arthritis, so would be more likely to help your joint issues. Mesalazine is used more often for crohn's in the terminal ileum, but both are used more often in UC rather than crohn's. Budesonide targets the terminal ileum, and is a steroid but not a systemic steroid like prednisone since it is released later in the small intestine and therefore not absorbed the way prednisone is.

Hope this helps in your decision making.
05-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
newdiagnosis

Thank you Jabee. My problem is that mesalamine alone will probably not help joint issues. However, even though sulfasalazine might be better for joints, but probably not ideal for terminal ileum. What should I do to help both the joints and the ileum? Entocort is just temporary, so I need to choose something longterm.
05-21-2017, 03:53 AM   #8
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
This lady kiltubrid used Sulfasazine for over 20 years alone before it stopped working. I contacted her and she said her disease was mostly in her terminal ileum. You can read her story here:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...436#post904436
05-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
newdiagnosis

Very good information. I will ask my physician to see if I should try that. My rheumatologist recommended i try sulfasalazine, but I wanted to try a mesalamine + entocort first, as there are more side effects with sulfasalazine. However, I think sulfasalazine is worth a try before I consider biologics etc.