Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Small intestine resection - glad you did it?

05-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
rorho19

My Support Groups:
Small intestine resection - glad you did it?

I'm newbie facing first surgery for two strictures suffered 4 yesrs of constipation etc am in inflammatory remission on AZATHIOPRINE but need surgery for pain of food going through strictures ....let me know if you had this done and were really glad you did...
05-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
I'm really glad I did it. I couldn't have carried on like that.
05-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
B-chole

I had to have an emergency reduction surgery when I was 17.(3 1/2ft removed) The hardest part for me is dealing with malnutrition and the fact that I can't be away from a restroom. My surgery was 18 years ago. I was completely in remission for 12 years. I don't regret having the surgery because I was on deaths door
05-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
No regrets on my resection. The alternative would had been far worse.
05-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #5
rorho19

My Support Groups:
Yeah I guess I have to realise that I am getting to the point where there is no alternative, I have dropped from 14 1/2 stone to 13 over 3 years and being 6 foot 3 tall 14 stone was thin. Guess I'm going to starve to death if I don't have the surgery.

RR
05-25-2017, 03:58 AM   #6
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
I'm a 6 foot tall man, and I went from about 13 stone to 9 over 2 years, and was seriously skinny, as well as anaemic and pretty ill. After surgery I gained 2 stone back in the first 2 months just eating normally. Amazing really. It would have been nice to have stayed about 12, but now I'm back to 13 and feeling like I need to lose some flab.

I would avoid things getting that bad.
05-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Layla

My Support Groups:
Yes, I'm glad I had the surgery. Like you I had trouble eating due to strictures and I was very pleased to avoid emergency surgery which would have been inevitable if I hadn't had the planned operation.
This way I could make sure I was as fit as possible and could also choose the surgeon so I could get laparascopic surgery rather than open. It was a no brainer for me.
Resection due to strictures in 2014
Currently taking: Remicade, amitriptyline, zinc, multi vitamin, b12 shots, Vit D, B complex, magnesium, calcium, Psyllium and the occasional iron infusion

Previously on Humira, Prednisone, Azathioprine, MTX, Pentasa, Asacol, Salofalk

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Small intestine resection - glad you did it?