• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Water fasting symptoms

Has anyone tried extended water fasts for healing for Crohn's? I'm on day 10, but find myself bloated and burping a lot. Anyone have a similar experience or a thought about what is causing it?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I know I'm a bit late on this. But, I would think that a water only diet without food for an extended amount of time wouldn't be good especially for us. We would need at least some type of food especially if we happen to be passing a lot of Diarrhea or bowel movements daily.

I know that if that were me with a water only diet, my stomach would be going nuts. I already don't feel good if I drink too much water without anything else. Have you talked with your doctor on this? It might be a good idea...

Bufford

No I would not consider fasting like that. The shock to the system would be too much, and doing the purge prior to a colonoscopy is not pleasant as it is. Finding a diet that works is a better alternative, water alone is not enough.

Has anyone tried extended water fasts for healing for Crohn's? I'm on day 10, but find myself bloated and burping a lot. Anyone have a similar experience or a thought about what is causing it?
--------

Hey there!

I fast every day until 2 pm, and eat only from 2 to 10 (sometimes earlier)...it helps my GI system quite a bit. In the fasted time frame, I tend to have water and other zero calorie stuff like tea. But If you are just drinking water, for 10 days or more, like you are, chances are you will bloat like crazy, not due to crohn's disease at all, but actually due to electrolyte imbalances. It is suggested (as I have done the same type of fasting as you are discussing, but I only did it for 48 hours), that you have salt water occasionally, to balance the electrolyte loss due to excessive water consumption. A good rule of thumb would be to actually have an electrolyte substance, I used pedialyte (I believe it is called...sorry can't remember for sure), but any local pharmacy and grocery store should have something.

As well, I found it more beneficial long term to do intermittent fasting, over long duration fasts.