• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to CAUSE a Crohn's flare?

Hear me out! I had an appointment with my GI today and was told that my body has built up antibodies to Humira and I can no longer take it. This is my third failed medication of its kind (I've also been on Remicade and Cimzia). However, the clinic I go to is participating in a clinical study for a new biologic medication and I qualify for it. This is an amazing opportunity, as I will be losing my insurance on June 3rd when I turn 23. I will be part of the second group, which is testing how different levels of the medication effect the body, so there will be no placebo. I will be guaranteed medication, as well as frequent expensive blood work and genetic testing all for free.

The only issue is, I have to be in a flare up when they conduct the colonoscopy in July, and for the past two months I've been on a pretty high dose of prednisone. I'm tapering down to 10 mg immediately and will be tapering further after I give my body time to adjust, and I know my own triggers, like steak and dairy and alcohol. Once I get a little closer to the date of my colonoscopy I'll start consuming my known triggers, but I'm concerned it won't be enough. What are some of your worst triggers? Things that make you immediately flare?

I know it's reckless to intentionally induce a Crohn's flare, but this is my only option. I just almost lost the vision in my right eye because of this disease. I need to make it into this study. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wow, what an impossible situation. I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. Stress usually does it for me but it sounds like you may already have that covered!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm afraid what you're asking for can be dangerous and you'd be playing with fire. None of us on here would wish for you to be in a flare just to get treatment. I would advise you more to talk with your insurance/doctor as to what other options are available. Here's a few links to help. Please keep us updated.

https://www.healthcare.gov/young-adults/coverage

http://www.healthedeals.com/articles/7-health-insurance-options-for-young-adults

https://www.healthinsurance.org/florida

https://healthplanrate.com/quotes/m...8_BzegGCQyVxhbrvIJy_4HmUxqgBqvybLEaAo2h8P8HAQ

Bufford

Not worth creating a planned flare, there will be enough scaring and damage from your previous flares you had throughout the duration of the presence of this disease. Avoid the triggers, and keep your health on the level.

I understand all of the concern with causing a flare. Trust me, I'm concerned as well. But I lose insurance in less than a week, and now that I'm being taken off Humira I have nothing to help control my disease. I haven't been off of immunosuppressants since I was diagnosed, and have still managed to have awful Crohn's flares and flare ups of my Uveitis. I'm currently in a bad Uveitis and scleritis flare that is still going strong despite a steroid eye injections, 40 mg of prednisone, and constant prednisolone drops. If I can't get into this study I don't stand much of a chance. I'll be blind within the year. So as dangerous as it is to cause a Crohn's flare, it's more dangerous if I don't make it into the study.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely and totally at a loss right now.

Maya142

Staff member
What an awful situation to be in! I understand why you're trying to do this, but I do hope you are being monitored, so you don't end up in the hospital before the trial starts.

All I can think of is tapering the steroids - as low as you can possibly go. That is pretty likely to cause a flare.

Is there any way your parents can keep you on their insurance? Most kids can be on their parents' plan till they are 26. My girls are staying on our plan till 26 (the older one is 23). Or is Medicaid an option?

Hang in there!!

Is there no way that your parents insurance can't cover you? Medical is supposed to cover until 26, it seems vision and dental are different ages like 23 or at least for our it is 23. My 24 year old daughter is on our medical plan but not dental or vision because she aged out last year.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. There are a lot of clinical trials available near where we live and it has occurred to me that my son may have to take advantage of them at some point if the meds keep failing him.

Good luck!