Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Post offer medical questions (any lawyers on here? please help)

05-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #1
divot

Post offer medical questions (any lawyers on here? please help)

My wife who also has Crohn's is in the process of getting a new job. She recently found out that she would have to answer a post-offer medical questionnaire. The problem is that she has had to be out for 2-3 weeks in the past year unexpectedly and 1-2 weeks unexpectedly in her current job within the past year.

If she answers truthfully to her past medical history we are both worried she won't get the job due to them not being able to make reasonable accommodations to her conditions. The obvious answer is to take certain liberties when answering the questionnaire. We are uncertain if this process can/will request medical records which would make downplaying the amount of time out of the office harder.

She can't work from home so it's not like they could provide a reasonable accommodation for her situation. She has recently switched from Humira to Remicade and this has shown an improvement. When she was on Humira at first and it was working she was in remission for many years which is the hope for Remicade now.

Does anyone have advice? We are both packing up our lives and moving from the east coast to the west coast in order for her to take this job and have already started that process some of which can't be reversed.

Thanks so much.

Edit: I'm in the US.

Last edited by divot; 05-27-2017 at 06:01 AM.
05-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #2
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Hi there,

I'm not sure where you are, but here in the UK I *think* it would be illegal to withdraw the offer after the fact unless they have concerns that the job would pose a further risk to her health.

That's off the top of my head so it might vary slightly but that's the gist of it. Again I'm not sure where you are, but here we have a free helpline called ACAS which is essentially legal advice for employers and employees and they are fantastic.

I was in this position a year ago, and when I disclosed to my new employer after the offer they were very supportive, however I didn't end up accepting the job for other reasons.

Hope that's of some help and good luck!

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
05-27-2017, 05:28 AM   #3
divot

Sorry I'm being a typical American and assuming everyone would know I mean the States. It is legal hear from everything I've read online.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Wish the US was like that.
05-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Sorry I'm being a typical American and assuming everyone would know I mean the States. It is legal hear from everything I've read online.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Wish the US was like that.

Haha, it might not be for much longer with Brexit and all! Hope you get something sorted.
06-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #5
tots

My Support Groups:
would that not be considered discrimination?

Lauren

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:

Ok, my family Dr told me to cut down on the stress- a husband, 3 kids, and 3 dogs!
06-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Can you be covered under Americans with Disabilities Act?
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Post offer medical questions (any lawyers on here? please help)