Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Unexplained weight loss

05-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Turfymantis

My Support Groups:
Unexplained weight loss

Hi,

I have been really well recently (consultant even allowed for me to stop having check ups in Jan unless I felt it necessary to go back). No regular medication except Mebeverine which I take when I need it. My weight in Jan was 61-63kg and I would say in the last 8-12 weeks I have lost around 7-8kg and my weight is now 54-55kg. I don't feel unwell, my appetite is up and down but nothing too out of the ordinary for me.

I have already rang my IBD nurse who said that amount of weight is excessive to lose in that period of time and is alarming and has requested a stool sample which I will hand in tomorrow but could this be a flare with no other symptoms? No pain etc. I'm always wary not to point everything towards crohns.

Thankyou for any help anyone can throw my way!
05-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Hey! Where is your disease activity? Mine is all small bowel and I'm pretty much as you describe, my symptoms are pretty much anaemia and unexplained weight loss. When things are really bad it gets worse, but initially the weight loss is a massive warning sign.

I hope you get some answers soon!

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
05-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Turfymantis

My Support Groups:
Hi thankyou for the reply!

My disease was found in the terminal ileum but I've never had weight loss like this before. As the tests take two weeks to come back the nurse said if I continue to lose weight then to ring my GP but Do you think it's normal that they didn't request bloods?

Thank you again I hope this isn't the start of something
05-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Ah ok, mine is terminal ileum and duodenum. It does sound to me like there's maybe more going on. I would be wanting bloods to check iron, B12 etc.

Best of luck, I hope you get some further investigation!
05-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Unexplained weight loss