• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aqua discharge??

Hi all,

Please excuse the photos (not really dinner table appropriate conversation, but not much is when it comes to Crohn's).

So I have had perianal fistulas and abscesses for about 6 years now, and most of the time it has been uncontrolled by the medication. Recently things have really settled down with the use of double dosed Humira and life is returning to 'normal'.

I have setons in place (2 currently) and do still have discharge, so use non woven combine's as a dressing.

The last few days I have been getting some pretty strange coloured discharge:

The second image is with the lining removed to give a clearer image of what is on the dressing. This is discharge over a 2 hr period, I did have more extreme examples, but wanted to keep the images a bit more socially acceptable:rolleyes:.

So basically it is an aqua colour (blue green) and clear. I have had this discharge in the past, generally when things are at the end of a discharge cycle (my abscesses would tend to go in a cycle of building and discharge even with setons in), but it has probably only occurred on a hand full of occasions.

My concern is, given I am doing so well at the moment is it a sign of continued improvement (deeper drainage as the area heals), or a sign that things are about to act up again (as in the past it occurs at the end of a cycle of discharge, so also preceded a gradual build up).

I considered if it might be something reacting with the combine, but I used just toilet paper as a dressing yesterday and got the same discharge.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Cameron

P.S. Just to rule out other factors (even those more sensitive ones), I have not changed my diet, I am not using a different soap, I was recently tested for STI's as part of the investigation into an abnormal liver function results, the last medical procedure (a colonoscopy) was 3 months ago, and to get really personal, I do not engage in any sexual activity that might explain funny coloured fluid :shifty-t::eek:utahere:

Hi all,

Please excuse the photos (not really dinner table appropriate conversation, but not much is when it comes to Crohn's).

So I have had perianal fistulas and abscesses for about 6 years now, and most of the time it has been uncontrolled by the medication. Recently things have really settled down with the use of double dosed Humira and life is returning to 'normal'.

I have setons in place (2 currently) and do still have discharge, so use non woven combine's as a dressing.

The last few days I have been getting some pretty strange coloured discharge:

The second image is with the lining removed to give a clearer image of what is on the dressing. This is discharge over a 2 hr period, I did have more extreme examples, but wanted to keep the images a bit more socially acceptable:rolleyes:.

So basically it is an aqua colour (blue green) and clear. I have had this discharge in the past, generally when things are at the end of a discharge cycle (my abscesses would tend to go in a cycle of building and discharge even with setons in), but it has probably only occurred on a hand full of occasions.

My concern is, given I am doing so well at the moment is it a sign of continued improvement (deeper drainage as the area heals), or a sign that things are about to act up again (as in the past it occurs at the end of a cycle of discharge, so also preceded a gradual build up).

I considered if it might be something reacting with the combine, but I used just toilet paper as a dressing yesterday and got the same discharge.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Cameron

P.S. Just to rule out other factors (even those more sensitive ones), I have not changed my diet, I am not using a different soap, I was recently tested for STI's as part of the investigation into an abnormal liver function results, the last medical procedure (a colonoscopy) was 3 months ago, and to get really personal, I do not engage in any sexual activity that might explain funny coloured fluid :shifty-t::eek:utahere:
Doesn't look bluey on my screen, just a bit blood stained. Looks normal to me and not a lot at all. I wouldn't be concerned if it were me.

Sorebutt26,

I was thinking it might not show up very well in the picture. Here is a picture of another combine which may or may not show it clearer:

These images don't really show the actual colour on my screen either, but I am pretty confident that if someone has experienced the same sort of discharge they will instantly know what I mean (it's the kind of colour that when you first see it you go "what the.....".

Just to clarify I'm not new to having fistulas and discharge, and knowing what is normal for me as far as amount of discharge. I have just very rarely had this type of discharge over the 6 or so years dealing with fistulas, abscesses, setons and discharge, and thought someone may know what is causing this extreme coloured discharge and what it might mean in regards to if it's something I should be concerned about given my current relatively good condition