• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Infliximab Side Effect: Acne?

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to get some advice. I am 23 and have had acne in the past but the past few months have been extremely severe. I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 9, I've been on methotrexate for almost 10 years.

I started Infliximab (Remicade) in March and my acne has gotten unbearable. Most of the acne is painful, large, and red bumps mostly along my jawline. These pimples take a long time to go away and I usually have at least 6 on my face at any time. I have also been getting pimples in weird places: my neck, scalp, and occasionally on my arms.

My GI doctor doesn't believe it has anything to do with the new medication but I notice an increase after almost every infusion. I'm thinking of going to a dermatologist. Has anyone else had this problem? If you have, has anything over the counter helped you?

I absolutely noticed the same type of acne since I started Remicade 6 months ago. I had acne as a teenager, but nothing like the hard, red, under the skin type around my chin. Mine also lasts weeks, never really coming to a head. I treat with OTC acne cream. I don't see the need to see a dermatologist, because I feel it's a side affect and I don't want to go on additional medication. I hope this helps, you're not alone.

Huh now that you say it. I'm in my 30s and still get the occasional acne. I'm kinda a holistic medicine person too, So i use frankincense essential oil on the acne and it clears it up pretty quickly