Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Remicade makes me hungry?

06-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
Peach

Remicade makes me hungry?

Hi Hi! So, I started Remicade a few days ago and I've noticed that my appetite has risen above normal levels. I've never been a huge eater but for some reason I'm eating 5 meals a days, having dinner and lunch twice and I have managed to go through this week's groceries in 4 hours. My mother is starting to get worried so I decided to come ask if this was normal for people under this medication. On a side note, my weight is still the same.
06-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was on it several years ago and don't remember that side effect.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
06-09-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
JaimeM

My Support Groups:
I get a steroid before my remicade, so I'm not sure if its the remicade or the steroid but I would agree with you
Switched to Cimzia but didn't work 2015
Back to Remicade and added Azathioprine 2016
06-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
admiral

My Support Groups:
I think it's the corticosteroids. My appetite was abysmal before I started taking my first dose of steroids (a bowl of fruit in an entire day, which I ended up vomiting). But once I started taking the steroids, I began to notice the change immediately, I was having 4 to 5 wholesome meals a day. I transitioned over to Remicade, but didn't notice any drastic change in my appetite. Are you also taking steroids along with Remicade?

06-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Sucane1

I have been eating half of what I normally eat while on remicade (been 4 months now), I'm exercising twice as much and I keep gaining weight!

I'm so frustrated and upset. I don't understand why I'm gaining so much weight.

I'm about to go to my next remicade appt. they are hoping my dose and my frequency. I'm going to ask about the weight gain.

As for appetitite, I found I was super hungry on the steroids. I couldn't stop eating!!!!!
06-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
JaimeM

My Support Groups:
I did gain weight with my remicade, even when I wasn't having the steroid before hand. I didn't really think I was eating a ton more at the time. Maybe I was, maybe it was because I was tired and not as active. I'm not sure.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Remicade makes me hungry?