Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Stelara/Ustekinumab » Stelara every 4 weeks!

06-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
Sophiavictoria

Stelara every 4 weeks!

Hello everyone hope you are all doing great!!!! I started stelara back in December of 2016. I must say it gave me some relieve at first but now I don't make make to 8 weeks. Therefor my doctor wants to try every 4 weeks!!!! Have any of you try every 4 weeks. I'm a little concern. Also worth mentioning I've been on remicade and humira with no success. Any feedback would be great
06-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Pam48

I am just on my first shot after the infusion. What to you have to lose by trying it every 4 weeks? I can't think of any cons.
06-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
08-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
AJM

Hello everyone hope you are all doing great!!!! I started stelara back in December of 2016. I must say it gave me some relieve at first but now I don't make make to 8 weeks. Therefor my doctor wants to try every 4 weeks!!!! Have any of you try every 4 weeks. I'm a little concern. Also worth mentioning I've been on remicade and humira with no success. Any feedback would be great
I started Stelara in April 2017. The drug has clearly helped, but I am not getting the full effect. My Doctor asked me to take a special blood test which checks the Stelara levels. If the results show that my levels are low, they are likely to put me on it every 4 weeks as well. They have also started me on methotrexate to try to slow the metabolism of the drug. Not sure if these are options for you. Good luck!
08-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
newdiagnosis

Wow AJM. That is very interesting. At what center do you get treatment? Sounds advanced.
09-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
AJM

Just an update for everyone. My levels of Stelara came back non-existent after 8 weeks, which suggests that my body is quickly metabolizing the drug. My doctor thinks it is out of my system in 2-3 weeks. I have checked various studies on the effectiveness of Stelara and it appears that at week 26 you need to have levels of 4.5ug/ml to be in remission. So if your levels are low (or non-existent like mine), you will not get the benefit of the drug. I am curious as to why this is the case (and so is my doctor), but hopeful that increasing the dose to every 4 weeks will help.

Sophiavictoria - any luck with the 4 week infusions?
09-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #7
newdiagnosis

I spoke with my doc about stelara levels. Only one center does it in the US. Will need to figure out whether my insurance will pay for it. Also, she said that since stelara is so new, there is really no established baseline for what a therapeutic stelara drug level actually is. Any thoughts on whether insurance companies pay for this drug level?
09-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #8
AJM

[QUOTE=newdiagnosis;988254]I spoke with my doc about stelara levels. Only one center does it in the US. Will need to figure out whether my insurance will pay for it. Also, she said that since stelara is so new, there is really no established baseline for what a therapeutic stelara drug level actually is. Any thoughts on whether insurance companies pay for this drug level?[/QUOTE

I do not think they do. My doctor was running a study so was able to pay for it. If I want it done in the future it is about $300. No different than my experiences checking my levels of Humira.
09-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
hredner

I started Stelera Nov 2016- first did the iv infusion followed by injections every 8 weeks, they moved me up to every 6 weeks because my disease was spreading despite the Stelera. It seems to help some but not enough! Trying to be patient.
09-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #10
newdiagnosis

hredner, how did you get approval for increased dosing of stelara? Any input might be appreciated as I might need to do the same.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Stelara/Ustekinumab » Stelara every 4 weeks!