• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cimzia information and experiences

I am currently diagnosed with Indeterminate Colitis, although I'm pretty sure it's Crohn's disease based on the last pathology report that showed patchy inflammation in a small area of my colon and in my terminal ileum. I was originally diagnosed in 2010 with "infectious colitis" and didn't have any issues until I got pregnant with my daughter in 2015. I flared mildly throughout my pregnancy and have not been able to get completely back to normal since then.

I am currently taking 4.8g of lialda per day and I've been on uceris for about 5 weeks now. Clearly this medication is not enough to keep things in check. I was hoping to get pregnant again this summer, but will now have to wait as I have had an increase in symptoms over the past month. I luckily experience little to no pain when I'm flaring. Right now I'm having diarrhea about 3-4 times a day, usually clustered into the morning hours, and some on and off joint pain.

I have an appointment with a new GI doctor on Monday and will bring up cimzia when I see her. From my research it seems to be the preferred biological for pregnancy/breastfeeding.

Does anyone have any experience with this medication?
1) how long did it take to relieve symptoms?
2) any negative side effects?
3) has anyone taken it during pregnancy and while nursing?

From my research, it seems that it's not really as popular as remicade and humira. Is this because it's generally less effective? Or is it just because it's one of the newer biologics? Has anyone had any issues with getting insurance to cover it as the first biologic?

I'm sure the doctor will have plenty of info for me on Monday, but I always feel better and more comfortable getting first hand experience as well.

I really hate the idea of moving up to a more serious medication, but I think I'm at the point where it has to be done. I hate that there's no step of drugs between the mesalamines and the immunosuppressants.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!