Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » 12 years remission and here comes marriage

06-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
MarvelousOne

12 years remission and here comes marriage

Ok everyone I've been diagnosed with Crohn's since I was 15 years old. Since then I had a colon resection and a plethora of medications. At the age 21 I really wasn't feeling comfortable taking 10 pills a day and still having all the symptoms... The Doctor would just up the medication. I decided to get off of everything and live my life a low and behold didn't have any symptoms (blood in stool, loss of appetite... you know! I was a pretty decent sized guy muscle wise probably hung in the 215lbs range. So I get married at 33 and man I slowly noticed things changing within myself all within 6 months. My hair got really thin, my nails got really brittle wasn't as hungry as I used to be and started using the bathroom more frequently. In this time my wife and I bought a house and I never lived with a woman before. I knew this was flare ups but why? Doing some internet research I found out stress may have been the cause. Handling the biills, constant arguing with the wife (I'm a very mellow person) I found a GI Doctor and explained to him what I thought was causing all this. He put me on Imuran and Humira anyway kindly joking it off. We're separated now btw for 3 weeks. Anyway I felt after the separation I would be doing better. I'm still having constant stomach pains (been on the medication for 4 months), barely making it to the bathroom and hardly eating anything. I'm 165lbs now and my appointment is in 2 days with the GI. Just kinda wanted some opinions on what I should tell him. If I tell him I feel bad I'm worried about more medication. I want to stop everything and just see if my body heals on it's on but I doubt he'll go for that esp. since Humira is supposedly less effective once you get off. What do ya'll thank and thanks for taking the time to read my story.
06-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
wildbill_52280

Stress may increase symptoms, but going through the symptoms definitely causes stress, your brain and body is not at its peak so any normal task may be more challenging and that's what is stressful. No matter how easy your life ever could become, you will still have IBD though, that's why the doc didn't think it all that important to your crohn's. But I'm sure he wouldn't be against you taking some extra measures to relax, have fun or simplify your life somewhat. Doc's job role only goes so far you know. I would recommend taking the med's and also methodically trying some alternatives at somepoint. here is a link of some of the ideas that have helped me survive so far. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....10&postcount=3
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...571#post980571
06-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
MarvelousOne

Thanks wildbill
06-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
I achieved remission on humira and some other stuff and diet in 2015 but was having some fatigue and few side effects for a few days after humira shot.
Anyway I got off the med's for about 6 months and then came the stress with family illnesses and other issue's also had an infection, anyway the infection and stress didn't hep the crohn's and it flared badly now all my large intestine and rectum are stricturing I have an intro abdominal abscess and waiting for surgery for a permanent stoma.
Like the previous poster said we will always have IBD so please don't get off the med's if they are helping you will be in more trouble than if you weren't on them trust me I'm talking from experience.
06-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Jabee

My Support Groups:
Have you had any scopes or other imaging to check out what's going on inside? If things are really bad you might need to switch up your medications until you are in remission again. At that point you could try managing with diet, etc. What did your scopes look like when you were doing well?
06-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
Scipio

My Support Groups:
If I tell him I feel bad I'm worried about more medication. I want to stop everything and just see if my body heals on it's on but I doubt he'll go for that esp. since Humira is supposedly less effective once you get off. What do ya'll thank and thanks for taking the time to read my story.
It's very unlikely that your Crohn's will just go away by itself with no medication. Your doc knows that, which is why he probably won't like that approach.

There are definite risks associated with the strong medicines used to treat Crohn's, but by far the greatest health risk that Crohn's patients face is the risk of uncontrolled Crohn's. The risk of a very bad side effect from the drugs is low. The risk of a very bad complication (obstruction, fistula, surgery, etc.) from untreated Crohn's is very high.

If Humira no longer works for you, there are several other similar biologic drugs that the doctor can try.
06-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I achieved remission on humira and some other stuff and diet in 2015 but was having some fatigue and few side effects for a few days after humira shot.
Anyway I got off the med's for about 6 months and then came the stress with family illnesses and other issue's also had an infection, anyway the infection and stress didn't hep the crohn's and it flared badly now all my large intestine and rectum are stricturing I have an intro abdominal abscess and waiting for surgery for a permanent stoma.
Like the previous poster said we will always have IBD so please don't get off the med's if they are helping you will be in more trouble than if you weren't on them trust me I'm talking from experience.
I agree.
06-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
MarvelousOne

Have you had any scopes or other imaging to check out what's going on inside? If things are really bad you might need to switch up your medications until you are in remission again. At that point you could try managing with diet, etc. What did your scopes look like when you were doing well?
Yes I had a colonoscopy before starting the medication (approximately 4 months ago) and no cancer was found but a lot of inflammation was discovered. This was after not having any scopes done or medications taken for over 12 years.
06-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
MarvelousOne

It's very unlikely that your Crohn's will just go away by itself with no medication. Your doc knows that, which is why he probably won't like that approach.

There are definite risks associated with the strong medicines used to treat Crohn's, but by far the greatest health risk that Crohn's patients face is the risk of uncontrolled Crohn's. The risk of a very bad side effect from the drugs is low. The risk of a very bad complication (obstruction, fistula, surgery, etc.) from untreated Crohn's is very high.

If Humira no longer works for you, there are several other similar biologic drugs that the doctor can try.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Had a very bad allergic reaction to remacaid when I was around 18 years old so I may have to scratch that one off the list.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » 12 years remission and here comes marriage