Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Does this stuff work?

07-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
Ahumado

Does this stuff work?

or is the TV commercial full of crap?
07-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Different people respond differently.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
07-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
Scipio

My Support Groups:
It works well for many patients, but as AbbVie's own clinical trials show, it doesn't work for everyone. This is true to one degree or another for pretty much all Crohn's medications.
08-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
Ahumado

I been taking the stuff now for 5 weeks. How does the Doc tell if it's working?
08-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I believe it takes longer to start working.

08-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
Ahumado

I believe it takes longer to start working.
How does the Doc tell if it's working?
08-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
Scipio

My Support Groups:
Docs have several tools to tell whether the drug is working. They monitor blood and stool tests such as CRP and fecal calprotectin to measure whether your level of inflammation is going down. They monitor your symptoms (pain, diarrhea, bloody stools, etc.) to see whether those are improving. And the gold standard is they do a follow-up colonoscopy to get a look and see whether the ulcers and inflammation in the bowel are healing.

They probably use a combination of some or all of these tools at one time or another over the course of your treatment to assess its effectiveness.
10-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
RickS

My Support Groups:
My GI did as above. Did the scope after about a year of being on Humira and also the
calprotectin test
10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Ahumado

It's been a few couple months and I notice changes. Less Schlitz and Blatz mostly. Used to be I could could eat about all the junk food I wanted (Little Debbies, brownies, etc) but that is no longer the case. Wife made a great sweet bread and it packed me up real bad. I was painfully sick for 24 hours. With the inflammation down stuff doesn't go thru as fast so I have to moderate my intake more. I made my favorite brownies the other night and only had a few but I noticed I was getting packed up again. It is a new learning curve for what and how much I can cram in my piehole. I have an appt. with my gastro guy on the 24th
10-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's been a few couple months and I notice changes. Less Schlitz and Blatz mostly. Used to be I could could eat about all the junk food I wanted (Little Debbies, brownies, etc) but that is no longer the case. Wife made a great sweet bread and it packed me up real bad. I was painfully sick for 24 hours. With the inflammation down stuff doesn't go thru as fast so I have to moderate my intake more. I made my favorite brownies the other night and only had a few but I noticed I was getting packed up again. It is a new learning curve for what and how much I can cram in my piehole. I have an appt. with my gastro guy on the 24th
Hoping the best for you.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Does this stuff work?