Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Burl's Story

07-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
burl_hall

Burl's Story

Hello. I am a retired counselor. I now write, I have 1 book self-published and am looking forward to a second book. I retired at a fairly early age, when I was in the first decade of this century. I retired due to Early Onset Dementia on top of the tree alongside the Crohn's.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 5 or 6 years ago, give or take a couple. Back in the 90's I had a girlfriend, who I dearly loved who had Crohn's. She wound up killing herself. She had lots of pain, and I now know know that pain. Maybe things are better in this age, but I can really understand her actions. Especially now. (No, being with my wife and Terrier Mix, I have no desire to do myself in).

I eventually married in the first part of the century, maybe 2005? I developed Crohn's late in life. I guess I was blessed with it being late onset. Its nasty. Sometimes its hard for me to get up.

I am thinking about diet a lot. What do you guys think about me going on 4 small meals. Right now, I am only on 2 small meals, but the person cooking for my wife and I are not open to doing 2 more meals. What is your advice about the small meals? I do get hungry quickly and fill up quickly. Indeed, I make my late evening Suppah (the proper pronunciation in Maine for Supper) into 2 small meals.

Any advice?

I also want to know because we will be going into Senior Citizen housing. We aren't really ready for 24 hour care, but do want to know more about diet. I live in Maine in a very rural place (like all of Maine). So we are looking at Portland ME. Having grown up in Baltimore, I asked myself, "My God, they call Portland a city?" I knew people in Baltimore who would think Portland was horrible. "What do you do there, Burl" they ask. (I love it here actually, though my wife is wanting to return to Buffalo NY. She has a daughter and grandkids there and its much easier for us to get there and my wife knows Buffalo. I keep saying "What about Baltimore." She then starts to think about the Washington Bite and say, "NO WAY!"

Ok, stop playing Burl, will be looking forward to your advice.

Anyhow, that's my story. I love all these little guys, by the way.
07-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. Shortly after my resection, my gi suggested more meals but making them smaller.
07-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
burl_hall

Ron, thanks for the suggestion. I am doing 2 small meals and am looking at 4 meals. Do greasy foods get to you? My wife and I have a roomer who makes our meals, and I feel like the foods are greasy. You live in Vienna?. This means you're in the DC bite. I used to live in Baltimore and had relatives in Manassas, VA and West Virginia. Believe it or not, I do miss Baltimore. Can't say I'm crazy about the DC bite. Baltimore had back ups......but I knew the city well enough to where I could shoot down an alley way and find a road going towards my house. Maine is good. Even though I-95 is behind our house, we don't hear it. The trees help block the noise and really, having 50 cars on the interstate is rush hour The positive to this is that you don't get stuck in traffic for several days. Well, hours. Thanks for your advice!
07-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
cmack

My Support Groups:
Welcome Burl,

I'm glad you joined us. I agree with Ron that smaller meals more frequently are a good idea. Sometimes I just sneak in a can of Amy's organic soup if I'm too lazy to cook, all I have to do is warm it up in the microwave. I aim for six small meals a day but usually it's five. I find that greasy food bothers me and I have been 95 percent vegetarian for nearly two years now with great success. I make a lot of smoothies, if you would like some recipes here is a link. Just click on it. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...t=80298&page=6 You have to go down nearly to the bottom of the page once you get there.

Welcome again,

Chris
07-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I find greasy foods upset me.
07-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
burl_hall

Thanks, I can now use this information for my wife and the guy that fixes our food, though he doesn't listen to me. Such is life, I am probably just going to begin cooking my own foods.
07-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
cmack

My Support Groups:
How are ya doing Burl?
07-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
burl_hall

How am I doing? I was just released about an hour ago out of hospital due to my kidneys malfunctioning. I feel a hundred percent better, and actually am feeling more energy than I have had in a long time. I am kind of assuming the kidney malfunction may have been the result of Crohn's, and having a large portion of intestines cut out. Do you know anything about this? I guess I'm not seeing this last hospitalization as something separate from Crohn's but is a participant in the big picture. What are your thoughts?
07-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi Burl,

I'm glad you have been sprung free and are feeling better. I don't care much for the hospital, but I suppose they have saved my life on more than one occasion so I shouldn't complain.

Kidney problems can often be a result of reactions to medications. Are you on any new ones? New being ... say the last six to eight months? Also dehydration can cause trouble as well. Too much salt, calcium or alcohol have been known to cause trouble too.

I hope you continue to feel well Burl. I'm thinking of you buddy.

Finest regards,

Chris
07-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #10
burl_hall

Salt may be a participant in this. My wife and I have a border who cooks. He peppers salt on everything, whereas, in my life for the past 60+ years, I don't salt anything. I don't think I am low on salt when I eat without salt being added. Salt is often in everything we eat (except fruits and vegetables, perhaps). I'll have to look at the list of medications. Having just being sprung from the hospital, I'm not entirely sure about the medications. Right now I am feeling fairly decent. A little weak, but not horrible. Indeed, I may tackle some household chores today. Thanks for the advice.
07-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi Burl,

I'm glad you are feeling decent today. I hope you get to the bottom of what caused the trouble with your kidneys. Did the doctor have any suspicions of what it could have been?

Keep in touch,

Chris
07-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
burl_hall

Yes, the doctor said I had become dehydrated. I was drinking water like crazy before, and now I need to drink even more. The doctor is now saying I need at least a gallon of water per day. I love water, so that'll be fine.
07-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
cmack

My Support Groups:
That's great Burl! Maybe it will be a simple solution to a bad problem. I always like simple fixes. I drink a lot of water too, It seems to help nearly everything. Good luck!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Burl's Story