• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Peanut butter and Crohns

I have it with no problem, i normally have more organic ones with literally just peanuts and salt in them and ive been fine. But as said above, everyones different.

scottsma

Me too.Try a little bit and see if you get a reaction in a few hours or the next day.I love it and raw nuts and seeds,which I chew to a pulp.Roasted and salted nuts make me ill though.

Peanut butter doesn't usually bother me, but for some reason my CD doesn't like PB M&Ms or Reeses Pieces and I had to cut those out of my diet. Everybody is different.

I seem to tolerate very small amounts of peanut butter that is 100% peanuts and smooth. But sometimes i get very bad pain i think when i eat too much of it. So i am scared of it but it is nutritious and i like it. I try to eat less than a teaspoon full per day.

Bufford

Prior to the Crohn's I could eat any kind of nuts with out problems. Now they have become a no go food for me along with many other rich foods. They cause cramping, constipation, diarrhea and alot of gas.

Smooth peanut butter is one of my safe foods, crunchy no way but smooth is good!

I make it myself so there's no added sugar or anything else in there.

I eat a ton of it...that and tahini. Stick to all natural. Only one ingredient. (Or 2 if there is salt). You can’t compare eating natural peanut butter and say a peanut butter snack. Junk food is junk food and should be eliminated as much as possible. When something has a long list of ingredient sometimes hard to tell what’s causing the distress.

My stomach simply refuses to tolerate peanuts in all different kinds.

I like to cook/make my own food, and I used to make a homemade peanut butter before I was diagnosed with Crohn's and sadly enough I can't even take a spoonful of it without my stomach acting up.

The best way is to try it in small proportions and see how your stomach reacts.

I love PB...esp crunchy. For some reason though, I usually always break out afterwards! An older friend of mine has the same problem and he is late 50’s! Recently I found Nature Valley granola bars in a PB flavor that is divine.

I struggle with peanuts but when I have peanut butter that is smooth and only made from peanuts or maybe peanuts and a bit of salt I'm fine
Look in the super market it's usually labelled under organic or raw peanut butter!

Peanut butter is really hit and miss for me. Right now it is a hit though, so I will take it as I can! I think for me it depends on the balance of bowel microbes.

If we eat any food over the limit then it will be harmful to your body, like that peanut butter is not bad at all but if we eat this over the limit then it will get bad impact on our body. So eat in limit and go through the dietian suggestion and prefer only natural peanut butter. For more info visit - thebutternutcompany.com

Lysine balance with nuts is the best or can cause skin issues. Which is my issue right now. I have been so obsessed with it because of depression with divorce and am paying the price. So fish and beans tonight to try to counter.

Lynda Lynda

I can eat peanut butter, but got so tired of it that I gave the rest of the jar to my neighbor ! I read on here that people are eating nuts and seeds, these are the kinds of foods that would make me sick. I cannot eat any fruits or vegetables with the exception of ripe bananas and maybe a baked potato. I cannot eat fatty foods because that really makes me sick. I cannot eat spicy foods either. Sometimes I think I'm going to get stuck with just eating peanut butter sandwiches and eating a bowl of cereal for the rest of my life. I have no problem with dairy products so I have a tendency to overload on these products. Sorry this got so long, take care and have a healthy day.

Ya I was on that same food but this new med vedolizumab has been great ate raw carrot and broccoli for the first time and ages and didn't end up rolling on the floor. I do love my cereal so I'd be ok with that lol....have probably 8 different kinds in the cupboard.