• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fitness and Weight gain

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's and Colitis last July (2016) and have finally reached a point in my recovery where I am able to work out a few times a week, though I am still struggling with weight and diet.

My big problem right now is I am weighing about 130lbs and not really processing any foods. I am taking daily vitamins and protein powders in an attempt to maintain the nutrition my body needs. Unfortunately, it is still a struggle to keep the weight on (on top of feeling constant fatigue, belly throbbing, etc)

Has anyone experienced this as well? Any ideas that you all may have to help me control my weight and nutrition intake a little better?

Thanks in advance.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. Honestly, if it were me, I'd focus on healing more first. If you're not processing any foods, I think you really need to back off of weight lifting for the time being. At least dial things back, maybe take walks instead for the time being. Are you on any medications for the flare? Last year when I was unable to digest anything, I had to do EEN (a liquid-only elemental diet) and steroids to get me out of the worst of it.

I know it's frustrating - I've had to do the same thing myself, purposely keep myself out of the gym while I heal more and hopefully head towards remission. Listen to your body and give it what it needs. Right now, that's probably not heavy lifting or intense exercise. Some exercise, light to moderate, might be okay, but don't push it right now. Focus on healing first.

What type of protein powder. I had to give up all dairy so whey was first to go. I now use a sprouted vegan protein powder. Check out the ibd-aid food list. Keep moving and working out just dial it back if needed. What's you routine look like. What's your diet now.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's and Colitis last July (2016) and have finally reached a point in my recovery where I am able to work out a few times a week, though I am still struggling with weight and diet.

My big problem right now is I am weighing about 130lbs and not really processing any foods. I am taking daily vitamins and protein powders in an attempt to maintain the nutrition my body needs. Unfortunately, it is still a struggle to keep the weight on (on top of feeling constant fatigue, belly throbbing, etc)

Has anyone experienced this as well? Any ideas that you all may have to help me control my weight and nutrition intake a little better?

Thanks in advance.
---------------
I agree with the comment above.

To be honest, I was in the same boat as you, I actually dropped to 95 lbs. If I was you, if your body can actually handle whole foods I would try to eat that over protein shakes...regardless of being organic or not, protein shakes are processed to a degree and therefore are going to be harder on the digestive tract. Not to mention they are low in calories, so quite frankly having several shakes a day is not really going to help much! Mass gainers are even worse than protein powders too (for a normal GI person as well...). My opinion is watch youtube videos on how people make a 1000 cal shake with whole foods, find what works for you and go from there.

What I did to gain weight is a shake like this:
-1 banana
-half a cup to a full cup of oats
-some source of protein: I used protein powder and lactose free cottage cheese
-half a cup of berries
-if you can tolerate it, fat free frozen yogurt. I couldn't have this until about 2 years ago lol...but these are generally pretty clean if you don't buy a cheap one.
-Blend and go.

Mmmm that sounds good. I also use things like hemp seed or chia, nut butters,
Coconut oil, butternut squash, pumpkin and lots of spices ie cinnamon, ginger, turmeric. Some many options. I always find scrambled eggs sit well too

What are you taking for medications? IMHO, you're not going to have any success gaining weight or building muscle if your crohn's isnt under control. Been there, tried that - doesn't work. Our overall health HAS to start with getting digestion back to normal.

cmack

Staff member
Always be sure to check with your doctor first before starting any new vitamins or supplements. Just as you would discuss details of any other aspect of your treatment plan, it is extremely important that your medical team knows about everything that you are taking. Just remember, cyanide is natural too, it doesn't mean we should eat it.

Switch your meds to humira or Remicade. Since starting them I have gained 55 pounds and I cannot stop this horrific weight gain no matter how much I workout and diet.