Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Can you Sit in the sun when on Aziathoprine?

07-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Finey

Can you Sit in the sun when on Aziathoprine?

Hi I am on Aziathoprine and was wondering what the views are on sun exposure whilst wearing factor 50?

thank you
07-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am not sure about that strength. I think you may need to be cautious.
07-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Hi there. I asked the same thing before my holiday and the general consensus was it's fine as long as you are careful and cover up or use a high SPF sun cream.

I sunbathed a little bit later in the day once the worst of the heat was over and actually tanned a little - that never happens to me lol! This was early in the year though so it wasn't getting any warmer than 24 degrees C in the middle of the day. Probably about 19-20 degrees when I sat out in it.

Hope that helps :-)

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
07-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Bufford

My Support Groups:
Aza made me burn and peel and was a miserable side effect. I had to apply a lot of high strength sunblock often. Wear a hat, and try to stay out of the mid day sun, otherwise working later on in the afternoon outside when the sun is lower is better.
07-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
NatureName1990

"Use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 when you are outdoors. Wear protective clothing and hats, and stay out of direct sunlight between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds."

According to: ncbi.nlm.nih dot gov
07-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Scipio

My Support Groups:
Sunbathing is like smoking. Some people like to do it, but it does nothing but harm. I never sunbathe. and if I ever have to stay out in the sun for some reason (yard work for example) I cover up with long sleeves and long pants and use plenty of high SPF sunblock
07-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wide brim hats long sleeve rash guard shorts
Swim hoods and pure zinc oxide as a physical barrier here
For ds
Plus avoiding 10-3
Ibd folks have a much higher risk of skin cancer even without meds
Immunosuppressants like aza or 6-mp increase that risk more
07-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Pug Gamer

Im on 150mg a day of aza and was told to never sit out in the sun even with 50spf on. I do have very light skin and never liked the sun anyway but i would say i have tanned more with aza. Normally i just go red and nothing comes of it. Im never really in the sun but if i was in the garden i sit under my parasol in the shade and my arms and legs are covered anyway. I just think with being pale anyway, then ontop of the aza its just not worth any risk.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Can you Sit in the sun when on Aziathoprine?