• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can you Sit in the sun when on Aziathoprine?

Hi I am on Aziathoprine and was wondering what the views are on sun exposure whilst wearing factor 50?

thank you

Hi there. I asked the same thing before my holiday and the general consensus was it's fine as long as you are careful and cover up or use a high SPF sun cream.

I sunbathed a little bit later in the day once the worst of the heat was over and actually tanned a little - that never happens to me lol! This was early in the year though so it wasn't getting any warmer than 24 degrees C in the middle of the day. Probably about 19-20 degrees when I sat out in it.

Hope that helps :)

Bufford

Aza made me burn and peel and was a miserable side effect. I had to apply a lot of high strength sunblock often. Wear a hat, and try to stay out of the mid day sun, otherwise working later on in the afternoon outside when the sun is lower is better.

"Use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 when you are outdoors. Wear protective clothing and hats, and stay out of direct sunlight between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds."

According to: ncbi.nlm.nih dot gov

Scipio

Sunbathing is like smoking. Some people like to do it, but it does nothing but harm. I never sunbathe. and if I ever have to stay out in the sun for some reason (yard work for example) I cover up with long sleeves and long pants and use plenty of high SPF sunblock

my little penguin

Staff member
Wide brim hats long sleeve rash guard shorts
Swim hoods and pure zinc oxide as a physical barrier here
For ds
Plus avoiding 10-3
Ibd folks have a much higher risk of skin cancer even without meds
Immunosuppressants like aza or 6-mp increase that risk more

Im on 150mg a day of aza and was told to never sit out in the sun even with 50spf on. I do have very light skin and never liked the sun anyway but i would say i have tanned more with aza. Normally i just go red and nothing comes of it. Im never really in the sun but if i was in the garden i sit under my parasol in the shade and my arms and legs are covered anyway. I just think with being pale anyway, then ontop of the aza its just not worth any risk.