Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Don't think it's working for me

08-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Tim641

Don't think it's working for me

I've been on Azathioprine for about 5 months now and just a month ago I had my dosage changed from 100mg to 75mg because I had really bad nausea but ever since the dosage had been changed I've been getting extremely bad abdominal pain which has almost extended past my lower abdomen and towards my stomach which scares me because a was already told that my crohns had extended an extra 25cm. My doctor said that if this medication does not work then biologics would be the next stage which I've heard has much more risks. I don't even know what to do anymore. Any advice?

08-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Let your doctor know what is going on. Everyone is different but there are people on here have done good on biologics.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
08-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
emilyt804

My Support Groups:
Hi, Tim!

If you want a low-risk biologic, Cimzia and Entyvio are your friends. Cimzia is an injectable; Entyvio is an infusion. Depends on which you prefer. I like infusions over injectables just because I hate sticking needles in myself. I have plenty of practice and just never could get used to it.

How do your doctors know your Crohn's has extended 25 cm? That's very specific! Have they done surgery on you recently?

Don't be afraid to have a bowel re-section; I had one in '09 and got a good six years or so out of it before becoming very symptomatic again.

Wishing you life and health,

Emily
08-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
Tim641

Hi, Tim!

If you want a low-risk biologic, Cimzia and Entyvio are your friends. Cimzia is an injectable; Entyvio is an infusion. Depends on which you prefer. I like infusions over injectables just because I hate sticking needles in myself. I have plenty of practice and just never could get used to it.

How do your doctors know your Crohn's has extended 25 cm? That's very specific! Have they done surgery on you recently?

Don't be afraid to have a bowel re-section; I had one in '09 and got a good six years or so out of it before becoming very symptomatic again.

Wishing you life and health,

Emily

I had a MRI at the start of this year and my doctor compared it to my previous one and to my colonoscopy which is how he found out that it had extended plus I could feel that the pain was no longer in one area.

I think that I would prefer infusions only because I don't really like needles either and the thought of injecting myself terrifies me.

I haven't had any surgery yet but we're still considering that as an option but my doctor thinks I should try the biologics and that quite a few young adults find that it's more successful.

Thank you so much Emily for all you help and I wish that you also have a healthy life
08-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
Tim641

Let your doctor know what is going on. Everyone is different but there are people on here have done good on biologics.

I have an appointment in about i week so I'll let my doctor know and let's just hope that the biologics work for me as well

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Don't think it's working for me