Share Facebook

08-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Obstructions

Hi all

This is probably a stupid question, but when someone has an intestinal obstruction what actually *is* the obstruction? Is it bad inflammation/scarring/undigested food? Or can it be any number of things?

Thanks

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
08-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
JessPeper

My Support Groups:
I believe it can be a number of things. I had an obstruction that resulted in a resection. In my case is was from inflammation and scaring.

Dx with CD 4/16

Ileocecectomy 3/17

Reoccurrence 8/17

Current Medications: Lialda 4.8g daily, Azathioprine 100mg daily, Prednisone 20 mg daily. B12, Folic Acid, Primal Defense probiotic.
08-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
Cheesy79

My Support Groups:
I had an obstruction and it was a kink in the bowel. It was after I had an ovary removed so the put an NGO tube in and waited it out.

08-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
Hi all

This is probably a stupid question, but when someone has an intestinal obstruction what actually *is* the obstruction? Is it bad inflammation/scarring/undigested food? Or can it be any number of things?

Thanks
I think all of the above. It's a tube that food has to pass through, so the narrower the more likely something gets stuck. Inflammation makes the tube narrower, and with persistent inflammation over time scar tissue builds up making it permanently narrow. I guess if it gets really bad it could close completely without food getting stuck in there, but then you might not know until you ate.
08-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
chuckmya

I've had obstructions due to a narrowing but I've also had a physical obstruction with 2 large stones not able to pass thru the terminal ileum.....obviously requiring surgery! But adhesions on the outside of the bowel can also cause obstructions!

08-09-2017, 03:21 AM   #6
emmaaaargh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've had obstructions due to narrowing and then food being stuck in it (thanks, apples, I used to love you so much!!) but I've also had obstructions due to adhesions on the outside of the bowel. They end up pulling at the bowel and twisting it so that it blocks off and nothing can get through - that's how my doctor described it to me. But for both 'types' I end up doing the same thing: fluids only for 48 hours and then it usually resolves.
Currently on: Humira 40mg fortnightly
08-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Ah I see, thank you all. Am I right in thinking adhesions are caused by previous surgeries?