• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone know of any benefits you can claim if your unemployed and with severe crohns?

Hi,

I'm having some issues. I've been in and out of jobs for the past 2 years. I'm currently taking Humira and I'm on the 3rd month, taking it every two weeks. I was on budesonide until two weeks ago, and whilst I was on it my symptoms felt better, as if I could eat anything. But the problem was that psychological I always felt on edge and was always having mood swings, I didn't feel normal in that sense. Since coming off the budesonide (coming to the end of my prescribed dose) I have had a flare and my intestines are very delicate. I'm basically just eating bread and chewing everything very very thoroughly, I started digestive enzymes before meals yesterday which are making me feel really good though.

The thing is I don't feel well at all for work, especially any 40 hour work week. I live in the UK and I have really no option at all to earn money. I live with my parents who basically look after me but I need some money of my own so I can do ordinary things myself. I'm wandering if anyone knows of any benefit scheme in the UK for people with crohns or any dibilitating conditions. Its really my only option right now.

Thanks

fuzzy butterfly

Hi I am sorry that I have only just seen your post. I am not sure what you can claim really. I am have not looked into it for a while and then things change. I got nothing when I was off work for a few months but I didn't know about ESA back then. I think you may be able to claim ESA from the dss. I have a friend that has a health condition and is on it. I would advise you to contact crohn's and Colitis uk. They should be able to help you with this.
You may have found out what you need to know by now but if not it's worth a shot. You can Google them for phone number and or email address.
Hope you are feeling better at this time.
Best wishes 💕