• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Slowing down a colonoscopy

I just had a colonoscopy. The doctor said the prep didn't work as well as it should. He is waiting for results of biopsies to know how to proceed. If you have a stricture, can that keep you from completely emptying?

Trysha

Staff member
Ron...I had two strictures and yes it did slow things right down for me
Fortunately I had a first rate GI who would not give up on trying to open things up a bit and after five different sizes of probes used the smallest paediatric one to get into the intestine.
Later he told me that usually the surgeons take over but he wanted to look after things for me....thank goodness he did.
After the procedure...I had been completely out for the count during all this...I recovered ok to go home.
For two whole days I took up occupancy of the bathroom almost full time and what should have happened before the procedure now kept going almost non stop for two days.The GI said he was not surprised....he opened up the dam.....
Hope this is helpful to you.....and that things will soon be resolved for you.
Trysha

Ron...I had two strictures and yes it did slow things right down for me
Fortunately I had a first rate GI who would not give up on trying to open things up a bit and after five different sizes of probes used the smallest paediatric one to get into the intestine.
Later he told me that usually the surgeons take over but he wanted to look after things for me....thank goodness he did.
After the procedure...I had been completely out for the count during all this...I recovered ok to go home.
For two whole days I took up occupancy of the bathroom almost full time and what should have happened before the procedure now kept going almost non stop for two days.The GI said he was not surprised....he opened up the dam.....
Hope this is helpful to you.....and that things will soon be resolved for you.
Trysha
Thanks, Trysha. Did biopsies pinpoint it was strictures?

Trysha

Staff member
Ron...I'm not sure that biopsies would pinpoint the strictures as such but there were inflammatory cells and no cancer.
I don't know any other results yet.
I think one reason strictures occur is because of active and chronic inflammation.. more likely in Crohns than Ulcerative Colitis and.could also be due to infections.
The GI used dilation to open mine,but it can also be treated with medication as well as surgery.
Feel better soon
Trysha