Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa and palpitations - advice please

12-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Miss Rose

Pentasa and palpitations - advice please

Hi
I am taking pentasa and prednisolone. I have only been taking them four days so far. Each time I take the pentasa I get palpitations for around one to one and a half hours. I am pretty sure it is not the prednisolone as I only take this in the morning and don't get the same effect if I just take this on it's own.

Has anyone else had this ? Did it settle down on it's own or did you have to change med.

I also have dry lips, a bit of a sore throat, legs like lead, including my left one which seems to be swelling up behind the knee even if I sit all day with it up, and feel generally a bit fluey. Oh and really bad indegestion (cased by the pentasa).

I really want pantasa to work - do you think it is worth persevering with ? or will all these side effects just carry on or get worse. I appreciate most of you are not doctors but would appreciate any info you can give from your experiences.

Thank you.
12-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
I have noticed I do get palpitations from time to time. But I have never noticed it directly with when I take it.
What dose are you on?
When are you next seeing your doctor? If it isnt for a while I would suggest you try and contact him to tell him what is happening so then he can tell you if you should keep taking them or not.
x x x x
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
12-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Peaches

My Support Groups:
I used to get palpitations much more often when on Prednisone - but don't remember any with just taking Asacol - but honestly - everyone is so different with their reactions to drugs. My twin's feet swell and she is only on Pentasa. I would also mention all the symptoms to your doc - especially if the flu like symptoms are pretty new - maybe you are getting sick?
12-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Miss Rose

Funny thing is I feel a lot better today - maybe it is just my body getting used to the drugs. Worse thing today is that I have a very fat face - I can even feel it inside my mouth pushing up against my teeth - a very strange sensation - a bit like after having treatment at the dentist. Oh and I have been to bed in the middle of the afternoon - and I didn't even get up until 11am anyway - I don't remember ever doing that before. Feels very self endulgent but I guess my body knows what it needs !

I'm on 40mg of pred taken all at once in the morning and 6 x pentasa (500g) - three in the morning and three in the evening.
12-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Miss Rose

Hey Peaches, just noticed you mentioned your twin. Do you both have crohn's ?
12-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #6

My Support Groups:
Your on 500g of pentasa?
I was told 4g was the max dose? Seems a bit strange coz tht is a big difference!!
x x x x x
12-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
farm
Captain Insaneo

I've been on Pentasa for over 10 years now and I have never had any side effects from it. When on pred. I did notice some slight palpitations. Good luck.
12-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
farm
Captain Insaneo

xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx said:
Your on 500g of pentasa?
I was told 4g was the max dose? Seems a bit strange coz tht is a big difference!!
x x x x x
I'm on 1,500MG twice a day.
12-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Hi Miss Rose,
I agree with everyone else. I bet the palpitations are from the Prednisone. I would get palpitations at various times throughout the day while on it, not just shortly after taking it. Even while lying in bed watchung tv.
12-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #10

My Support Groups:
See that is 3g total a day, that is what I am on.
Are you sure its 500g miss rose and not 500mg?
Because 6x500mg would be 3g yer?
x x x x
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Miss Rose said:
Hey Peaches, just noticed you mentioned your twin. Do you both have crohn's ?
Yes, my twin was diagnosed a year ago in October. I was diagnosed 13 years ago, but have struggled with it most of my life.

So - you said you have taken a nap in the afternoon, even after getting up at 11am? This is while you are on *40mg* of pred? I would be bouncing off the ceiling all day and most of the night on that dose! Question - do you get tired or "winded (out of breath)" when you go up stairs? I'm just wondering if you have something else going on as well.
12-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
Miss Rose

I'm on 1.5g twice a day (sorry getting my mg and g mixed up) so same as you Little Miss.

Peaches that's back luck that both you and your twin have it. How do your parents cope with that - my Mum has been sooo upset.

I am really tired and don't feel myself at all - really down actually. I had two days of feeling really manic then down hill from there really. I think partly it is having to come to terms with the fact that I am quite sick - although I have been ill for quite a few years and this year in particular I have been very poorly, no-one else had taken me seriously that I might actually have something wrong with me - including my family and all the doctors. Suddenly they are all sitting up and taking notice and I just want to cry and say - see I told you I was ill but you weren't listening. I think this is the pred making me feel a bit depressed (no voices talking or suicidal thoughts so no panic). It's a shock to the system I suppose so is bound to have some affect on me. Hopefully I will start to feel better soon - I am only one week into the drugs after having crohns for so long and no medication whats-o-ever I think things had got really bad in there. I will know more when I see the consultant in a few weeks time. The palpitations seem to have gone now anyway.
12-21-2009, 03:45 AM   #13
crazycanuck

Well I was on Asacol for 2 years which is a very similar drug to pentasa I've been told. I had palpitations from time to time at somewhat random times. Wasn't every day but fairly often I'd have them. I was on 9 pills 500mg a pill per day I believe it was. Thats a high dose but at times I was up to 12 pills a day as directed by my doctor who I'm no longer with thank god Now onto Imuran (AZA) and haven't had them since.

Diagnosed October 2007
Currently on Remicade 400mg (October 2010)

Tried Budesonide (april 2010-july 2010) & Asacol (october 2007- dec 2009) & Imuran (Dec 2009-Dec 2011)

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa and palpitations - advice please